German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told that the reason big dogs, e.g., GSD's, don't show much in agility is because they "break down." I'm sure breeding/conformation has a huge influence (as it would with any dog) and my guy's conformation, lineage wise, is excellent (Mom OFA Excellent, Dad Pen-hipped at top 10%). He's a big sturdy guy who plays ball, jumps & has no problems.

He is 4 years old & we're just starting out (had some issues to work out regarding other dogs, but we're good now.) He's 100 pounds - about 10 pounds over what a lean agility dog should be. We're on a diet. :D

Is there something I should do to prolong his agility life? Supplements? Exercises? We're learning to jump carefully (Susan Salo method) and handling (Greg Derrett) so we aren't rushing this. BUT, that comment at a trial yesterday threw me for a loop. So, I thought I'd ask the people who really know GSD's & agility.

Thanks for your help!

· Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just because you don't have what it takes to be a national-level competitor doesn't mean you can't participate in an activity you enjoy. The OP wants to do agility with her dog. Assuming he enjoys it too, the best thing the OP can do to prolong his agility life is give him great food, keep him lean, and give him adequate rest.
This is my point exactly. I don't anticipate being able to compete against BC's. Zack is from working Czech lines and seems to have a lot of desire & drive to do agility. Will we fly through weaves? No way - he's too long. Would we have fun? Most definitely. His diet is perfect for him (raw with supplements) he gets daily walks & runs.

I'm thinking that before I get too involved, maybe I should have him evaluated through x-rays to make sure there aren't any hidden problems in hips & knees. His pain tolerance is very high, so if he started to have problems, I doubt I'd see evidence until it was bad.

· Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Probably mostly show line GSD's. All of the working line dogs should be able to jump - as they have to in Sch.

Would be fun to see a BC jump the Sch jumps wouldn't it?

Or practice on the bite work? GSD's can do both very well!
I have a friend (Kathy Lena) who put a Sch3 on her BC. The biggest criticism was that the bite work appeared to be more play to the BC than actual bite work. But, she did it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.