German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got Zymox Otic 1% from the vet. It seems to work. I ran out and thought I bought the same thing at Petco but it is only .5% and doesn’t say Otic on the label. Does anyone know what the difference is other than strength? Can I use two drops of the .5% and get the same effect as one drop of the other?

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
I just bought some 1% Zymox Otic online, doesn't require a prescription. Amazon has it.

The instructions on the bottle say to fill the ear canals though, and massage it in. So I don't know how you'd be able to double the dose. One drop wouldn't be very effective...of either strength.

The Hydrocortisone just helps quiet the itch, the enzyme solution is the same strength.

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just bought some 1% Zymox Otic online, doesn't require a prescription. Amazon has it.

The instructions on the bottle say to fill the ear canals though, and massage it in. So I don't know how you'd be able to double the dose. One drop wouldn't be very effective...of either strength.

The Hydrocortisone just helps quiet the itch, the enzyme solution is the same strength.
I’m a little worried about Amazon because the reviews said they think they got a counterfeit product. I can get more from the vet but not on a Sunday. The vet charges less than Petco.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
It won't help get you a bottle today, but Chewy has the 1% -- they don't have third-party sellers, so I don't worry about counterfeits with them:https://www.chewy.com/s?query=zymox otic&nav-submit-button=

You could probably find a 30% off coupon for Cyber Monday with Chewy, and buy two bottles to get free shipping -- and score a great deal if you use it often.

When you buy stuff like this at Petco, be sure to price check Petco.com -- it almost always has a lower price than the brick-and-mortar store. The cashiers at the store will price-match to Petco.com if you show them the lower price on your phone.

I am trying to avoid pet meds or supplements from Amazon since they don't seem capable of policing third-party sellers of counterfeits. After Nutramax found the counterfeit Dasuquin on Amazon and analyzed it, I changed my buying habits:

https://www.nutraingredients-usa.co...oducts-sold-on-Amazon-made-of-starchy-fillers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts