German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was tucking my 9 year old in bed and heard mom yelling from the laundry room. Zoot grabbed a used Bounce dryer sheet and took off running. She must like the smell and taste so she ate it before anyone could get to her. I can't find much product info on the box and am wondering if we should be concerned and seek out help or allow it to ride it's course?

One benefit we have found is that her breath is very fresh now.

·
Super Moderator
32,586 Posts
She should be fine. Halo has consumed numerous Bounce sheets, and I know previous dogs have gotten them before too. I'd be more concerned about a new, unused, sheet that one that's already been through the dryer, or if she'd swallowed several of them.

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
Peroxide to have her barf it up? I would give that a try asap.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I'm not going to give the popular answer I'm sure but with soft pliable products like a dryer sheet I'd watch for it on the other end in a day or two. Obviously watch for decreased eating, lethargy, panting, and increase water intake but I'm sure you'll reunite with the dryer sheet this week in your yard:)

·
Super Moderator
32,586 Posts
Yes, that can cause an obstruction. I'd seek medical attention.
It IS possible, but less likely than if she'd swallowed a sock. It's not a bad idea to keep an eye on her, but it should pass. Calling your vet is always a good idea.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
i was always told dryer sheets, even used ones were deadly because of the chemicals. Watch for obstruction signs and keep an eye out for the dryer sheet!

·
Registered
32,033 Posts
I have heard that they can cause siezures, but I cannot remember where I heard that. I would call your local ER or poison control and ask what they suggest.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
I know Dharma has eaten paper towels and the occasional dryer sheet. But the sheets were always used so I'm not sure about the chemicals. She always passes them without problem. It probably wouldn't hurt to call the e-vet and just make sure there is nothing toxic in there.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
No static,lol Sorry thats not nice but funny nonetheless. I can't begin to tell you how many paper towels, rolls of toilet paper, and female hygiene products mine have got into. No matter how many times I yell at the kids and hubby to shut the bathroom doors when their done it never ceases they forget. While both have grown out of the chewing stage now there was a time when I would be on poo duty and find remnants of paper. It was one used dryer sheet not a box of unused chemical laden sheets.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
It IS possible, but less likely than if she'd swallowed a sock. It's not a bad idea to keep an eye on her, but it should pass. Calling your vet is always a good idea.
I freely admit that after losing my dog, I've become much more neurotic about going to the vet for things like this.

·
Registered
32,033 Posts
I just found this:
Factors That May Trigger a Seizure
Below is a list of factors that most commonly trigger seizures. This does not mean your pet will have a seizure each time it comes in contact with one. EACH pet is different and sensitive to certain things. This list does not apply to every pet.
Some of these factors are impossible to avoid, but are listed for your knowledge.
Hair spray - Do not spray when pet is in the same room.
Wool - Wool blankets, wool sofas, etc.
Heartworm pills - A seizure may occur 1 to 1 ½ wks. after administering heartworm medication.
Cigarette smoke.
Environmental Pollution from chemical plants.
BHA - A preservative commonly used in dog foods, read - "Additives in Pet Foods,"
BHT - A preservative commonly used in dog foods.
Sodium nitrate - Proven in research studies to cause severe seizures. Sodium nitrate is found in many foods we eat. Read the ingredient labels carefully.
Carpet powders.
Air fresheners.
Fabric softeners
- If exposed to clothes that have fabric softener on them.
Dryer sheets - If exposed to clothes that have been in the dryer with the dryer sheets.

Naturally Treating Epilepsy and Seizure Disorders

If your dog is not a siezure dog, it might not be an issue. But I would call the vet anyway.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
She has not been clingy tonight at all and we are hopeful the fresh breath remains. ;-)

Seriously, we will keep a very close eye on her - I did some research and it looks like the ingredients are nontoxic and mostly biodegradable. We are hoping the sheet simply passes and that we find it in the yard tmrw evening.

·
Registered
386 Posts
not to jack the thread, but do GSD's that are perfectly healthy, and had gotten into such items, end up having seizures? and to what degree generally? just mainly for reference

·
Registered
386 Posts
also i use those bounce dryer bars... they work great and you can remove them easily if you dry something that doesn't like dryer sheets.. ive been using them since they came out and i love 'em

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
I think the list Selzer posted was referring to dogs with diagnosed seizure disorders. Maybe she could clarify.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So far so good. She is active as ever this morning and had nice stool. We are eagerly anticipating tonight... LOL

·
Super Moderator
32,586 Posts
*Just this moment Keefer was licking a dryer sheet on the floor next to my chair. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts