German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if this is normal behavior.

Hondo is used to Hubby being gone a couple of nights during the week. When hubby comes home, Hondo is excited but more like, "yeah, it's good to see you too, what cha got for me?" type of excitement. And then it's back to normal.

Lately, due to work requirements, I've been gone a few day during the week. Also, because bow season started, hubby has been gone on the weekends. Its seems this is more than Hondo can bare.

Remember, one of us is always home with him.

When I got home last week (after being gone three days, two nights) Hondo began to howl and race through the house. It was as if he was possessed. He'd come back to me and tag me, and then race around again. He wouldn't listen to me, and when I'd call him to me, he'd howl even louder. Like he really wanted to, but just couldn't control himself. I truly felt it best to take him out into our pasture and let him run, even though it was late. He was like a tea kettle at a boiling point. After a good run, he was back to normal.

I really thought it was a one off type of thing, but Saturday Hubby and I were gone for around 4 hours and when we got home Hondo did the same thing. Howling and running (knocking down lamps, plants etc.)

We haven't let up at all on Hondo's exercise program. If fact, it may have increased a bit due to the cool weather.

He turned one in September, and really isn't the 'zoomy' type of dog.

Hondo and I are going out of town this weekend for three days. We're staying with a friend of mine who has GSDs. I'm hoping this might help him some.....or it could make it worse. Just don't know.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
:rofl: Sorry I do not mean to laugh but it sounds to me like Hondo is so happy to see you he can't contain himself!

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:rofl: Sorry I do not mean to laugh but it sounds to me like Hondo is so happy to see you he can't contain himself!

My heart wants to think that...but if he is so happy, he should have dinner ready, have already have had laundry done...... ;)

He has never been a waggly, over excited puppy before. I was told by our trainer that when Hondo turns a year old I'll see some personality changes. But she meant more like an even more serious dog. And I would need to up my awareness regarding his reaction to others. It never dawned on me that the change would mean he would be more goofy.

Hondo has always been a serious boy - I expected Cujo not Pluto.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
LOL

I'd say he's just happy to see you. Ozzy does the same thing sometimes when I come home. When my mom comes home, he gets excited and goes down to say hi, then he's right back up my butt crack. The second I walk in the door, he'll sit there staring at me from his crate almost vibrating until I let hm out, then he acts like he's on speed or something for a little bit. Ah, puppies. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
473 Posts
It's just all about excitement. I would take him outside and let him run, not in the house, weather permitting.

·
Registered
222 Posts
That IS FUNNY!! Ha ha ha. I love it. My dog gets pretty happy when one of us gets home, too. My husband is gone for about 3 weeks a month, so when he gets home, the excitement is almost more than Rocky can bear. He wiggles so much, you'd think he were going to jump out of his skin. Still laughing about cujo vs pluto!!!

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
This is Zoe's new MO too and nothing has changed but the weather. I am bombarded with 90 lbs of dog nipping and jumping all over, racing up and down the stairs, and half knocking me down to say hi. My new routine is to come in, put the dogs right out back, change, and go run them ASAP- all things are well after that;)

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
LMAO!!!!! My dogs go crazy and wacky too. Zena was always the most excited. Now that we have Shelby... that girl could tear the house down in her excitement when i come home!!! They love us sooooooo much they just cant contain themselves.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I'm sorry but that's just funny stuff right there !!! :)

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is Zoe's new MO too and nothing has changed but the weather. I am bombarded with 90 lbs of dog nipping and jumping all over, racing up and down the stairs, and half knocking me down to say hi. My new routine is to come in, put the dogs right out back, change, and go run them ASAP- all things are well after that;)
I've had to change my normal routine as well. I take Hondo with me to get the mail, whereas I used to stop in the street on my way into the driveway. This gives him an 'extra' energy out let before we begin our nightly schedule.

I put him in the back yard on Monday - giving me time to change clothes and listen to the answering machine. When I glanced out back the sneaky little booger had my 9' fake tree in his mouth running around the back yard! It's been on the porch for longer then he has been alive! He was chasing our old Golden, attempting to get him to play, but Tug would have no part of the game. I don't know if Tug was more worried about my reaction, or the fact that Hondo could actually carry a 9' tree in his mouth!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts