German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I suspected Ziva had HD. Had her hips and elbows x-rayed today (she was also spayed). She is 19 months. I know these are not good. Vet is waiting on the certified radiologist to grade them.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
So yeah. They are not great. The femoral necks are thickened and the heads have less than 50% coverage.

But.... I have seen waaaay worse. Keep her thin, keep her muscled, get her on a joint supplement and you may never see outward signs until she is much older.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So yeah. They are not great. The femoral necks are thickened and the heads have less than 50% coverage.

But.... I have seen waaaay worse. Keep her thin, keep her muscled, get her on a joint supplement and you may never see outward signs until she is much older.
Thank you for looking. Thankfully she is thin, 58 lbs. She loves to run and run full throttle at that. She loves the water but we have yet to get her to really swim. We don't have many places that allow dogs to swim. Plus winter is coming.

Our previous mix breed dogs took Cosequin DS for years.
I see they have a newer formula with MSM.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Add fish stock or human grade fish oil to her meals. This will help as a natural anti inflammatory as well as other benefits.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Add fish stock or human grade fish oil to her meals. This will help as a natural anti inflammatory as well as other benefits.
Unfortunately, she has many food sensitivities and can not have fish oil or any fish for that matter. We use and algae based omega-3 and give her Springtime Joint Health supplements.

·
Registered
31,576 Posts
curcumin is a natural inflammatory too.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I would research turmeric, my friend uses it for her older dogs with arthritis and they are notably more active on it. She does a turmeric/coconut oil paste. I give it to my kiddos too, but they don't have any soreness issues that I can comment on, I just give it for general health.

Edit: I totally missed how old this was, my bad.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would research turmeric, my friend uses it for her older dogs with arthritis and they are notably more active on it. She does a turmeric/coconut oil paste. I give it to my kiddos too, but they don't have any soreness issues that I can comment on, I just give it for general health.

No worries ;) Any suggestions, advise, input anytime is always welcome. Ziva is such a fussy eater. I often have trouble getting her to eat food that has supplements of any kind added. I have tried many over the last 2 years.

Fortunately, I can report that she seems to like the Springtime Joint Health chewable tablets (we call them her candy). And, she seems to be doing very well on them. No signs of pain or stiffness. She runs, plays and acts totally normal. :)

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts

I use Tumeric for my dogs. The senior has some arthritis but with the Tumeric you would ever know. It also helps my golden that has hip dysplasia and has had two FHOs. Not to mention I use it too. I do not give any other supplements for joint health.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I also use turmeric for my HD dog, it's mixed with fish oil and a small amount of black pepper (which is apparently supposed to aid in the uptake of the turmeric).
On my vet's recommendation she also gets glucosamine and MSM.

But, the best results I've seen so far for this dog has been starting low impact conditioning exercises. It's made a huge change, and dropping some weight has made quite a difference too.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How often do you guys get x-Rays to check for HD ?
We did x-rays at 19 months during her spay (since she was already going to be sedated). I suspected HD based on they way she ran and tended to cross-over one of her back feet often. She also was very prone to a lazy sit.

Our vet said it was up to us how often we wanted to recheck her hip condition via x-ray, if at all. She felt it was more prudent to be watchful of symptoms rather than relying on x-rays. Some dogs have horrible hips with no signs of discomfort until well into their senior years. Others, can be very symptomatic and in considerable pain with what looks on x-rays to be only moderate HD.
Unless we have reason, we don't plan to repeat x-rays.

In general, I believe if you are having x-rays done for health screening for breeding, they do them around two years. Some do Prelims at 18 months from what I've seen here on the forum. If you or your vet feel there may be HD or other bone/joint issues they can be done at any age. If you want X-rays for piece of mind, again, they can be done anytime. To get good views sedation is required.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts