German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello everyone, been a long time since i been on here.

I have a 14 month old pure bred GSD. He is the sweetest thing ever and my first ever dog. since he was about 6-7 months old hes been having skin issues. it all began with getting rashes that would go from red to black in mattter of days. this happend approximately for 3 months on and off and always was treated with antibiotics.

we did as many test with allergies, food change, ect. about a month ago we noticed him starting to itch around his mouth alot and this led to hair loss around his mouth. we took him back to the vet this was his 8th time in the past 7 months. and she said it could be anything and only thing that would really help is a biopsy. my brother and I pay for almost all his expenses and i knew that would be very expensive. so the vet recommened we go on the Advantage Multi. about a 2 weeks into that we noticed the hair around his eyes was starting to go away and was very red. he would itch his face so much it would bleed. i was in tears seeing him like this so i knew i had to do the biopsy.

so on wednesday (june 26th) Zeus went in for surgery, he had to get neutered anyway so they did both the biopsy and neuter together. hes been home now 3 days and is miserable. he is crate trained so we are keeping him in there as much as possible but take him out for pees and such. hes on antibiotics again and a yeast medication because the vet thinks he def has a yeast problem.

since ive gotten him ive spent well over $6000 and still have no real answers. we get biopsy results in a week or so but im worried that it wont gve us any real answers. i feel so anxious and helpless i dont know what else to do.

does anyone have any experience with this kind of stuff? anything else i could do to ease his itchiness? any advice is good advice. thanks

btw, hes been eating past 4 months Wellness Core Original Formula - GRAIN FREE

thanks

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
I don't have much help as far as why this is happening but I'm sure more experienced people will chime in... But have you tried giving him coconut oil? It does wonders for their skin and coat plus it can help with yeast problems.

Here's a link about it, The benefits of coconut oil for dogs! - K9 Instinct - Dog Nutritionist and Dog Trainer in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada. K9 Instinct Blog!

And this is the kind I buy, a lot more and less expensive then the kind made specifically for dogs, Amazon.com: Nature's Way EfaGold. Organic, Pure Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, 32-Ounce Jar: Health & Personal Care

I'd also recommend having him on fish oil too, I give my dogs both everyday.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Since you did a biopsy, you need to wait for the biopsy results so that way you hopefully know what you are dealing with, before tinkering around too much. However, if the itchiness is new, I would call and ask the vet if there was something safe you could put on the mouth area to help with that.

Have you been going to a Derm vet?

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
Re: the Dogs Naturally link MaggieRoseLee posted

Here is two vets who can help you with bringing your dog into balance.

depending on where you are in T.O.

North (Newmarket)
Dr Sasan Haghighat (Hyatt) DVM , CVA |

and East York (O'Connor)
Meet Our Veterinarians | East York Animal Clinic
(this site is a little messed up graphically, but works)

Look at their services and compare the diff. between them and conventional practice services;)

(Autumn form the first link did a house call for me a couple yrs back - she is retired from the practice, but does consults - Dr. Sasan I haven't met

McCutchen (second link), I met at the all about pets show - he wrote the book The New Holistic Way - nice man - been in practice 50 yrs.)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hi I am sorry to hear about your babies issues.

Here is my original post about my man's issues:
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/191277-help-us-please-skin-yeast.html

And here is an update:
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/b-r-f-raw-feeding/221754-raw-barf-update-testimonial.html

We changed to RAW/B.A.R.F. diet. I supplement with raw eggs, salmon oil, coconut oil, a mix( Super Omega Plus- from pet-co) and acidophilus (pro-biotic) before meal times.

I regret not having before pictures, I hated seeing him so uncomfortable and terrible feeling and looking. But I wish I had them now, so that I could support my statements with the visual.

The same thing happened with my man at 3 months, as yours, red spots turn to black and then would go away...

I hope any of my info can help.

best of luck

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi I am sorry to hear about your babies issues.

Here is my original post about my man's issues:
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/191277-help-us-please-skin-yeast.html

And here is an update:
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/b-r-f-raw-feeding/221754-raw-barf-update-testimonial.html

We changed to RAW/B.A.R.F. diet. I supplement with raw eggs, salmon oil, coconut oil, a mix( Super Omega Plus- from pet-co) and acidophilus (pro-biotic) before meal times.

I regret not having before pictures, I hated seeing him so uncomfortable and terrible feeling and looking. But I wish I had them now, so that I could support my statements with the visual.

The same thing happened with my man at 3 months, as yours, red spots turn to black and then would go away...

I hope any of my info can help.

best of luck

Thanks, we just got back the biopsy results, which as suspected doesnt give us 100% what the cause of his skin issues are. but it did narrow down that is not fleas, parasites or mange.

the vet said its 90% allergies not sure if food or environmental though ,i think we will definitely try the RAW diet. i dont know what else to do, i cant stand filling up my pup with anymore antibiotics and shots. i really hope this works.

is there a thread about how to transition my pup onto it and the approximate cost per month?

oh and thanks again everyone for input.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts