German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....and a piece of me has died right along with him. I have never had such an amazing dog. So protective of me and the kids, yet so very very gentle with us at the same time.

They came out to our car to put him down. First sedated him. We comforted him for that 10 minutes - told him how amazing he is, how much we'd miss him, how much we loved him. I thanked him for always protecting us and always being my shoulder to lean on. We were wiping his nose because it was running and his tounge was sticking out but he couldn't reach it up to his nose. The he got that last shot and went peacefully.

He hasn't rested well in over a week. He was up every 20 minutes drinking water or crying to go out - or just crying standing next to me. I laid on the floor with him to sleep last night. He didn't sleep much - he was so uncomfortable and had such a hard time breathing.

I know it was the thing to do but sometimes I feel I should have done something else. I know...it was his time to go. I just needed to help him get there. :(

·
Registered
288 Posts
may his soul rest in peace! if there is such a thing as an after life or rebirth may he come in whatever form and have the best life ever!

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
I am so very very sorry for your loss:((

·
Registered
27,225 Posts
Linda, my sympathy to you on this very sad day.
May Zeus be welcomed at the Bridge by all the great ones who have passed.

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
Zeus :(

My thoughts have been with you all day.
It is the day we all know is coming and we all dread.
May you take some comfort in knowing he had the best life possible with you that he could have possibly had.
You saved him from his previous owners who
neglected him and abused him.
Cherish his memory and remember,
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than to never have loved at all.
God speed Zeus!
Until You meet again.......
I am SO SORRY LINDA.
Let me know if there is anything I can do.

Brigitte

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Linda I am so very sorry for your loss. You made a very brave and caring decision to help Zeus. My thoughts ane prayers are with you. Rest In Peace dear Zeus xx

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
So sorry you lost your Zeus.

·
Super Moderator
32,138 Posts
I'm so sorry Linda. :(

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
Linda,
i understand what your going through i lost my heart boy in Janurary........i also feel part of me went with him......he was a once in a lifetime dogs, just one that the bond was so deep, that special connection..........all anyone can do is keep the memories dear to your heart and take comfort in the things left behind, until that special day when your souls will meet again.

god bless.
debbie

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you everyone! Does anyone know of a good place to buy a pet urn? It has been so difficult today. There are times I don't think I can go on but I know my Zeusy wouldn't want me to feel this way. It hurts so bad. I've spent the day throwing up. I am emotionally and physically exhuasted. If it was the right thing to do why do I feel so so so horrible. He was having trouble breathing, standing, etc... I know I had to do it. ... It just happened so quick. I thought he was going to be around for a few more years. His hips, back, legs were all PERFECT! He was running and playing only 2 weeks ago and today - he's gone. After the surgery and they said everything went well and they got everything - I thought we were all clear after that. He was so happy only a couple of weeks ago. This is a horrible feeling. He was so much more than a dog - he was almost human like and the biggest part of our family. I will mis him so much!!! I just want to touch him again and hug and kiss him. Oh this hurts...

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
I am so sorry Linda. Many thoughts for you and your family during this difficult time.

You did right for your Zeus, it takes alot of courage to make that decision. Just like the trust, loyalty and courage they show us everyday, in their last days they depend on us for the very same as they always had.

Run free Zeus, sounds like he is an amazing dog :halogsd:

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
I am so so sorry Linda! I just went and read your other posts. What a devastating loss, to happen so quickly :hugs"

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/preparing-say-good-bye/134409-zeus-how-do-i-say-goodbye.html#post1809318

Cancer is a wicked beast - it only takes a very small number of cancer cells for it to establish away from the original cancer site. it's possible that some cells escaped during the surgery. It's possible that it was already slowly growing in other parts of his body at the time of the surgery - in fact, that is probably more likely.

You rescued him 12 years ago and gave him a wonderful life, and he was a wonderful companion. As so many have said, it is never long enough. You gave him a gentle and kind goodbye and freedom :hugs:

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'm so sorry... I know how hard that is on you and your family. To me, that is the worst part of having a pet, they are in our lives for such a short time and it never seems long enough...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts