German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All taken with 70-300mm lens. So far this camera is absolutely amazing and I took most pictures on Auto because there are way too many buttons for me to know what to do with. =)

DSC_0077-2 by TCgraphicDesign, on Flickr

DSC_0138-3 by TCgraphicDesign, on Flickr

Hey guys, hand wash station!

Mommy, you better stand up!

·
Registered
478 Posts
He is gorgeous! Wow. He looks tall for 6 months :) Love his coat colors , my favorite .
For easy to read , comprehensive , and FUN instructions on how to get the most out of your DSLR and post edit work , I recommend Scott Kelby books. Enjoy , it quickly becomes an obsession!

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! He is actually very very short, I think its a photo perspective.

I have been watching lynda.com lessons and a whole lot of youtube =)

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
great shots!!!! I'm so jealous!!!! I want a 7100 so bad!!!!! Got to play around with a Canon Rebel T5i that I liked so maybe i'll look into that too. lol but man I want the 7100!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
great shots!!!! I'm so jealous!!!! I want a 7100 so bad!!!!! Got to play around with a Canon Rebel T5i that I liked so maybe i'll look into that too. lol but man I want the 7100!!!!!!
Since I have no idea what I am doing, (my first DSLR) at-least the camera knows... LOL

Thanks everyone, he and he looks, he gets away with everything!

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
These are really nice!! Looks like the autofocus works really well. Great shots :)

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
These are really nice!! Looks like the autofocus works really well. Great shots :)
Haha! yep.

Hey Rai, you have taken action shots indoors with your 50mm?

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Haha! yep.

Hey Rai, you have taken action shots indoors with your 50mm?
I have! I'm definitely more of a portraiture person (just my preference!) so my action shots are iffy, but I definitely prefer my 50mm for anything indoors to my other lenses (an 18-105mm, a Tamron 55-200mm, and a Tokina 11-16mm).

Low f stop number (high aperture) + high ISO (which shouldn't be a problem on the D7100), and then whatever shutter speed you need to stop action without the blur. Since my 50mm can go all the way to f/1.8, and while my other lenses only go to f/3.5, f/4, and f/2.8 respectively, the 50mm is usually my first choice provided that the focal length is adequate.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have! I'm definitely more of a portraiture person (just my preference!) so my action shots are iffy, but I definitely prefer my 50mm for anything indoors to my other lenses (an 18-105mm, a Tamron 55-200mm, and a Tokina 11-16mm).

Low f stop number (high aperture) + high ISO (which shouldn't be a problem on the D7100), and then whatever shutter speed you need to stop action without the blur. Since my 50mm can go all the way to f/1.8, and while my other lenses only go to f/3.5, f/4, and f/2.8 respectively, the 50mm is usually my first choice provided that the focal length is adequate.
For some reason I could not get my shutter speed to move when I was trying to use the 50mm... but I think the auto iso was off and it was set to low, I will try again tomorrow. Do you shoot in S or A for action? I don't think I can set the lens to 1.8 if I use S.... Still learning

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Oh, if you are in "S" mode, you won't be able to change the aperture, and if you're in "A" mode, you won't be able to change the shutter speed. "S" means you set the shutter speed and the camera decides the aperture for you. "A" means you set the aperture/f-stop number and shutter speed is automatic.

If you want to be able to change both shutter speed and aperture, go into manual mode. You'll be able to fiddle with all points of the exposure triangle in "M" mode. For action, if I weren't shooting in manual mode, I would pick "S" because I can set the shutter speed I need to stop action. If I were in Aperture Mode, I could pick a low f-stop number but the camera might not pick a shutter speed that was fast enough for me.

If you just want to just try shooting in "S" or "A" mode, remember you can always change ISO to brighten up the image. If you find yourself having to shoot at shutter speed 1/1000 s the image will turn out very dark unless you bump up ISO to compensate (or fix in post processing). I usually always adjust ISO a little bit, but I don't worry too much if the picture turns out underexposed because I edit them anyway :) I posted these pictures before as examples, and I think I was at f/2.8 to f/3.2, shutter speed 1/400 to 1/1000, and ISO 1250 all the way to ISO 3200: agility picture one, two, and three.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Rei, I am improving! I want to take flyball pics indoors at the club and i don't think flash is preferred so i need to figure this out.

I am looking to get a walk around lens and thinking of Sigma 17-70, I hear great reviews about that one. (this is after some web/freelance projects of course!)

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
omg!!! gorgeous!!!

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Those photos are fantastic. I love "Mommy, you better stand up!" Zeus sure is growing up quickly :0

·
Registered
9,945 Posts

I am doing the head tilt.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Wow you aren't wrong when you commented on my post and said how much my boy looks like your boy! Would be easy to get them confused unless up close!
He's stunning :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Nice pics and great lookingdog!
I have previously seen those hand wash station pics on facebook believe it or not.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts