German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Oh boy... That's no good. Positioning was poor, but the hips are bad either way so it doesn't matter.

What are your plans from here? What did the vet recommend?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What the vet said for a plan for Zelda:
Vet wants to put her on metacam for pain- she is already on it for anal gland problem. And to continue that as needed. Since she is only 60 lbs. we would either be under dosing or over dosing if we did carprophen, which is my preferable medication to use.. So until she gains weight, not much else i can do about that.

She wants me to switch from Glyco-flex 2 to either cosequin or dosequin, since it has both glucosamine and chondriotin. And glyco-flex 2 does not have chondriotin.
She also wants her to go on omega 3 fish oil, 500-1000 mg/day (Fish oil) with either EPA or DHA.

And to up her exercise to create bigger muscle mass to help support the hips. We do 3 miles a day in walking. Since i only let her run maybe once a month. So i guess i need to do more than that, i probably will let her do a gait and some running on a 50 foot lead, but she wont be able to "book it" as much since she only has 50 feet of space and than that would be less impact on her hips and would be less painful for her after.

She merely mentioned Total hip replacement, but said it was very expensive.

I asked her if i should let her run, she said that i can, but to know when its too much by how she acts after the fact and do less next time.

A vet tech i know there very well, has a dog with HD, he is an american lab big boy who is now 11 years (he had it when he was young too), she does acupuncture and gold bead acupuncture as well- and also suggested that to me. She said she has had him on carprophen too. A vet there has been doing acupuncture for a long time now and he is very good at doing it.

On a side note: Also for her SA, since we did blood work, we can start her on reconcile, and if it works we can put her on the human brand which is a lot less expensive than the doggy prozac.

And on another side note: She was able to release the rest of her anal glands, and she put some antibiotic medication right in there, she said it is looking better. And i am to go back in 4 weeks to release her anal glands again- since now we have to do it for her! (yay.. not..)

I HATE seeing my dog under, i hate how it messes with their heart rate and breathing. Very sad and scary. Hopefully i dont have to do that anytime soon again..

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
so sorry:((

I would definitely look into the acupuncture AND chinese medicine if you have someone around there.. Swimming also is a GREAT muscle builder..also when rehabbing mine with a knee surgery, we walked sideways (not up and down) slanted hilly areas,,that is good for muscle tone, also walking on sandy beaches, as well as just walking thru water,,water is low impact and helps with muscle tone.

If your going to have to keep expressing those glands, I would have them 'gone'...

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
I agree 100% with Diane.. SWIMMING! Swimming is such a great, low impact exercise to build muscle. Look up "hydro therapy"" or "water therapy" for dogs in your area!

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
wish you were closer, I have used Deb Saunders for years, she is great:)

You could probably contact her and ask for a referral to your area, she does teach/train others but not sure of their locations.

Look up www.wizardofpaws.net Tell her I sent you...She has developed some really great supplements that may help as well

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Costco sells the Cosequin.

So sorry to hear about your girl. I was hoping no news was good news. I haven't tried acupuncture, but let us know if it helps.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Acupuncture for sure. Swimming as well. Great low impact muscle building.

Not really sure why you cant use rimadyl. 60lb dogs can't be dosed??? News to me since I dispense it for every sized dog out there. You can cut tablets in halves or quarters or whatever size you need to get the proper dose. 60lb I would probably recommend 100-150 mg depending on pain (comes in 100 mg large chew tabs). Technically the dose is roughly 2mg per lb - so 120mg. You can break a 100mg pill in 1/4 and give exactly 125 mg. So again dont understand why it cant be given. Sounds to me like your vet doesnt want to give your dog rimadyl...

I like rimadyl and think it works great. However I did read an article from a university vet school that said in comparison metacam was the only drug that the patient completely returned to normal on. I havent used it enough to give a personal opinion on it

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Acupuncture for sure. Swimming as well. Great low impact muscle building.

Not really sure why you cant use rimadyl. 60lb dogs can't be dosed??? News to me since I dispense it for every sized dog out there. You can cut tablets in halves or quarters or whatever size you need to get the proper dose. 60lb I would probably recommend 100-150 mg depending on pain (comes in 100 mg large chew tabs). Technically the dose is roughly 2mg per lb - so 120mg. You can break a 100mg pill in 1/4 and give exactly 125 mg. So again dont understand why it cant be given. Sounds to me like your vet doesnt want to give your dog rimadyl...

http://www.petguide.com/mobile
My 20 pound dog was on it. She did well.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the helpful ideas guys! You guys are awesome. :)

Jakoda- i do have a vet about 45 minutes from me, its name is Qi, and the first appointment is $250, i called and he does acupuncture as well. He is a good guy, in fact he use to work at where i go now, and than he started his own vet clinic that was holistic.
Do you think walking through snow is similar to walking through sand and water? Unfortunately those are more of a summer thing! And its already in the 40's lately!
Wow i looked at the website and i would LOVE to have those things for Zelda.. Perhaps there is someone around here that does, i will have to look into it! Looks expensive though.

Wild-wolf: I will for sure! And when it starts getting warm out again, to the river and lakes! Of course its hard around here, because a lot of our lakes have zebra muscles.. and i do not want her getting cut on that.. Could get infected or do worse. But we do have a river in our back yard. :)

Msmaria- How expensive is the cosequin? I ended up choosing that one over dasequin. I got it for $65 on amazon, for 250 capsules. I looked on 1800 pet meds and its more expensive there.

Anubis star- I told them i really wanted carprophen. :) So they gave me carprophen. But i have to wait 5 days before using it, because metacam and carprophen are not supposed to be mixed. But a vet i highly respect, said there was a study and long term use on metacam led to cancer. So that and its expense and the fact that i am more familiar with carprophen. So they gave me 100 mg, and im supposed to give half, 2 times a day. That works. I also will probably do it by need. I probably wont give it everyday. At my work at the shelter we use carprophen a lot of the time, and it seems to work well. :)

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Would you consider her hips mild, moderate or severe?

Would you consider her hips mild, moderate or severe?

Do you think she needs surgery for quality of life?

Just something i thought i would ask.. :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
did you see this thread:( http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/show-those-hips/357721-6-month-old-hd-cant-afford-surgery-michigan-2.html

look at those hips, they are probably the worst I've ever seen:((( Poor dog and poor owner:(

I think 'snow' is going to be harder on the body than water, since water is low impact.. You can email Debbie (wizofpaws) and I'm sure she'd be glad to tell you of any indoor water treadmills / in your area if available..

I've had friends who've had gsd's with HD, just built up really good muscle tone and actually competed in agility with them:)

I'd probably say Zelda's were severe, but like I said if you can get some good muscle tone on her, that muscle will hold those hips in place better..

I can't tell you what to do, if me, since she's young, I'd probably go with some kind of surgery ..I know it's not cheap tho:(

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
How old is she?

What are her signs/symptoms? As in limping (how bad), in obvious pain (how is she showing it?).

The crazy thing about hips and dogs is just looking at an x-ray doesn't necessarily tell how the condition is actually affecting our dogs. My BrettaLee failed her x-rays at 1.5 years of age and is still happily running courses at full height in agility at 9.5 yrs old.

:)

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
Treat the dog, not the x-Ray.

Limit excersise based on her reaction to and level of pain during and afterward. She will be your guide.

Find a local referral hospital, most have rehab, maybe one has an underwater treadmill.

Cosequin is fine. Definitely do the fish oil.

Sorry bout your girl. It really sucks. But as people have said, it does not have to mean anything more than her hips are not great.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jakoda-Those are really bad hips.. poor pup! I guess there are some helpful ideas there. And ofc there is carecredit. But i am already in about a very large amount of debt, primarly to my parents. If it was a $50/month thing i could probably afford that.
My sister suggested i make a "deal" with the new vet, Greg at work, and let him preform the surgery at a lower cost as well as a cost for being an employee so it would probably be half the normal cost or so. But i dont know if i could do that- just because i want it done by someone who has done it many times.
Makes sense about the snow, water treadmills would be wonderful exercise for her.

I would also would really love to do surgery, so she can run again.

MaggieRoseLee-
She was born dec. 15, 2012. So about 11 months.
Signs/symptoms are that when she runs for even 2-3 minutes sometimes, she will lay down. even on a 1.5 hour hike (not on a mountain) she had to lay down near the end.. Also she does limp quite a bit after such situations. So basically i haven't been letting her run. But she LOVES to run, when i do she books it and i would love to let her run more often, but she lays down soon after anyways and is painful after.
Do you think surgery is a good idea?

gsdsar- That is probably the most positive way to look at it. :) If she cannot run for more than 2-3 minutes without having to lie down or sit. Should i not let her run at all than?

Thank you. :) Do you think surgery is a good idea?

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
Personally I would get her on supplements, use an NSAID, get her comfortable enough to exercise . Once you can exercise her,she will build muscle. More muscle means better support for the joint. More support for the join means less NSAIDS needed.

Right now I would be doing steady walks on hills, sideways up and down. I would limit all out running if she gets that sore that quick.

I would also look into Laser therapy, and acupuncture and underwater treadmill. All can help bring down inflammation and build muscle.

Sorry for your girl.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
The price of cosequin at costco is about 65 to. I will double check next time I go, since my daughter bought it last time. Your xrays are similar to dex. He can run for about 10 mins or trot for about 20 or 25 mins. It has helped since I put him in daycare that is family run. They have gsds. They know about his hd and will bike trot him for 15 mins and walk him an hour later for 15 mins. We are working him up to longer. Trying to build some muscle. I wish I had water therapy within an hours drive of me. Just so you know if we hike with him for an hour and a half he will lie down too.

My vet gave me tramadol. I havent heard it mention here. But I give him it only on occasion.he doesnt limp at all since being on adequan.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Make sure you do bloodwork before starting the rimadyl to monitor organ function, repeat at 2 weeks (rimadyl usually causes side effects in 2 weekz if it's going to), and then again every 6 months. It's rare, but it can cause organ failure. So if you just stay on top of bloodwork you are usually ok. We refuse to prescribe it long term if people arent willing to do recheck bloodwork twice a year

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
I agree with the bloodwork beind done while on Rimadyl..I had one on it for 'years', his bloodwork was done every six months, (after initial start up check),,and was fine..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts