German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today Ze'eva was taken to the weekly SAR training for the Island County K9 SAR and she is a natural!

We started her with baby tracks, treats along the way and using human scent through a wooded area and she kept her nose down the whole way, worked out the tracks and found the scent article EVERY time. Next week we are going to work on longer tracks with a person at the end as she will be an air scent dog and not for ground tracking though she may excel at both as some do. For this K9 SAR group she is the only pointy eared dog and the only GSD. Most of the other dogs are labs and pointers.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
YAYYY Congrats :)!!! Its a great feeling huh
Yes it is. I am glad she is doing well at her age too. I didn't expect too much but wanted to start her early but she did amazing at just about 18 weeks old now.

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
Today Ze'eva was taken to the weekly SAR training for the Island County K9 SAR and she is a natural!

We started her with baby tracks, treats along the way and using human scent through a wooded area and she kept her nose down the whole way, worked out the tracks and found the scent article EVERY time. Next week we are going to work on longer tracks with a person at the end as she will be an air scent dog and not for ground tracking though she may excel at both as some do. For this K9 SAR group she is the only pointy eared dog and the only GSD. Most of the other dogs are labs and pointers.

Great job! To both of you! Keep up the good work of the pointy eared dog! Heh! Heh!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Yes the majority of it is definetly labs but the shepherds can do it too :)!!! 1 more for the good guys lol :). Just remember to keep the training light and fun for now!! Cant wait to hear more!

·
Registered
28 Posts
SAR Tracking

She is gorgeous first of all. Looks like a luv bug for sure.
Just a note to let you know my boy Ra has been tracking since he was ten weeks old and has mastered both a blind track and a false trail track and is both a ground and air tracker when the scent is less defined. Our tracking master works to keep it positive. Ra has just turned 7 months old and my goal is to do SAR as well in the foothills here in Alberta.
Luv to start a dialogue with you about our puppies progress and trade training information, tips and successes.
Please feel free to PM me as I tend to lurk more than I post

·
Registered
337 Posts
Wow she is even more stunning, love the coat length!!!! Do you mind me asking where you got her from? What part of Washington are you in? Im looking at moving to Oregon in the next year or two...not a big fan of the midwest! Theres nothing to do here and the coast...well it just has it all :)

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow she is even more stunning, love the coat length!!!! Do you mind me asking where you got her from? What part of Washington are you in? Im looking at moving to Oregon in the next year or two...not a big fan of the midwest! Theres nothing to do here and the coast...well it just has it all :)
I got her from an individual who does rescue but have the breeder's info as when I rescued her I got her full un-submitted papers. The breeders that her dam came from would be the ones I would recommend and I can give you their info if you want.

As for where I live in WA it is about 1.5 hours north of Seattle on Whidbey Island in a town called Oak Harbor. We have a Naval Air Station here and a nice little community.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Washington is beautiful. I have a brother who lives in Seattle and would love to move there. He works for the University of Washington in their recreational department...super jealous!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts