German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hey everyone i posted in the introduction section a bit ago and i just wanted to give everyone an update on my little man Zackary Pemberton

here are some pictures of him at 8.5 weeks old.
Hes almost potty trained still having a bit of a problem holding it but he cries like no tomorrow to go out lol

hes doing well on recall i just havent really found treats he likes, i swear ive bought like 9 brands and hes like.. no way mom!

So i tried these things called little jacs from petsmart and i mix them in the bag with cheese bits and ham or chicken and he seems to like them that way. Is that okay or is it bad for his tummy?

Im having a little bit of a nipping problem but i immediately give him a new toy and he seems to do really well. His ear is driving me crazy one min its up next its down lol.. im always like YAY... AWWW.. YAY....AWW hahah! :D

and omg he finds dirt and mud more than any dog ive ever met! lol

The little dog with him is my grandmothers dog he gets to play with while im at work everyday. There is a chest by the door and she sits and waits for her buddy everyday and now when we go out to potty first thing in the morning he heads for the jeep thinking hes going to see Dixie! German Shepherd are great I love him!

Question though, ive been taking him on short walks just around the block how long should i wait to fully start training him with sit shake etc. He comes to me and sits in front of me and looks at my face when i call. But i was just curious when is the best time to do this. I been doing it in little bits of time here and there to keep him from being bored to quickly. Im doing my best I havent had a dog in a long time but ive watched and read everything i can get my hands on to learn! Hes currently curled up with his head on the leg of my chair konked out from playing with the kitten. They play til they both give out and pile up together. I can hear him making little noises as he dreams haha! hes a lady killer for sure!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
I used kibble for treats for as long as I could get away with it...then one day look at you like "Seriously??? You think I'm going to sit for THAT? Not!"
Chicken and cheese shouldn't hurt him, not sure if the ham is too rich. If you give him the same things a few days in a row it's easier to figure out what might upset his stomach, if anything.

I do minimal training for the first few weeks but try to capture behaviors. So if I see the puppy starting to sit I say sit, that kind of thing.

Enjoy him, he's beautiful!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used kibble for treats for as long as I could get away with it...then one day look at you like "Seriously??? You think I'm going to sit for THAT? Not!"
Chicken and cheese shouldn't hurt him, not sure if the ham is too rich. If you give him the same things a few days in a row it's easier to figure out what might upset his stomach, if anything.

I do minimal training for the first few weeks but try to capture behaviors. So if I see the puppy starting to sit I say sit, that kind of thing.

Enjoy him, he's beautiful!

atm, everyone thinks hes a lab lol!
okay ill remove the ham, he doesnt have *gross alert* loose stool anymore which makes me very happy. Okay good thats what im doing, ill say "Zack, Come" and if he comes and sits ill give him a treat and praise him. Im just glad he seems really happy. Ive wanted one of these dogs since I saw them years and years ago, but they are very hard to find in mississippi. I got very lucky the breeder i got him from is a sweetheart i think ive called her three or four times with questions.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took a bunch of pics of our trip to florida, ill have to post them soon! His right ear is almost completely up and hes learning very fast :D Love GSDs!:D

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
White GSDs make the cutest puppies!

The treats you use should be okay, but with Ozzy, I use his canned food. He goes mad over that stuff - he LOVES it. I'd go as far to say he'd take it over a piece of chicken or a heated up hot dog. :)

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
He is sooo sweet!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts