German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the warning signs were there and the behavior has arrived!! My pup is quite the home protector. I dont consider this a bad thing at all, especially since he is VERY social with people and warms up to strangers very quickly. He will show his belly to anyone. BUT, I know that protective instincts, unguided, can turn into a problem.
My husband came home from work this afternoon and of course just walked right into the house. Hubby has been gone to training for the time I've had Huter, so Huter is not used to his schedule and therefore does not know when to expect him home. Hubby walked in the door and Huter Charged, full speed, barking loudly to the front door from the other room we were playing in. Of course, as soon as he saw my hubby, it turned to tail wags and licks.
He makes his presence known when we are in the car and someone approaches as well. Always just one, single loud bark as if to say "hey! There is a big bad dog back here ;)"
For this reason he is only aloud off leash on hikes where he is not trying to protect anything. But in the front yard, he is always leashed now.

Have any of you guys done training with your dogs in regards to proper protection behavior?

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I haven't done any protection behavior training, but I have done a lot on training my Sting only to bark once to let me know the mailman is coming, not charge the door, to only watch dogs being walked by the house and to be a quiet backseat passenger.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
if you want your dog trained in protection find
a professional trainer.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if you want your dog trained in protection find
a professional trainer.
Its not so much that I WANT him trained in protection....as it is that he is naturally protective and therefore should be properly trained :)

And yes, we are going to see a trainer...thats why I said "time to get more advanced training."

I just wondered if anyone has been to a trainer and what kind of things they did to start training. Just out of curiosity, this is a lot of dog to handle without some professional help while his protective instincts are coming forth. I want to do it now before any bad behaviors become habit and make it harder to reverse.

The good thing is that once I give instruction, he will listen. So will sit and he will quiet down etc... He doesnt do ANYTHING if someone knocks or rings the doorbell. He greets them well. BUt when someone just waltzes in, he goes bonkers till he knows who it is.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I would just put a sign on the door: please knock or ring doorbell.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I find our guy does really good off leash. I found that on leash he was more wild.

If he had a chance to Identify the threat, he would calm down. BUT, he is very protective if i say the command "Who's that". Literally will run to the window and bark, even if he doesn't see anyone. Good guard dog.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts