German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Macy just pooped out a nasty pile of poop. Full of mucus and looks like blood or undigested red stuff, not sure.

can't get a hold of either one of the vets.
Can I freeze this for a test later or does it need to be fresh?

Want me to post a pic of it? LOL we put it in a container...gag!

She just had mulitple tests done last moth, nothing was found except Irritable bowel. She is on TOTW.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Don't have any idea about the poop, just wanted to say I hope that everything is alright for your pup. Will be wishing for the best and sending positive thoughts.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I left the vets a message hoping they will call back. Ugh she did it within 30 min after closing time.
She seems fine, even nicer than normal.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Aren't GSDs great when it comes to timing? I hope your dog is well. Don't know about the issue just sending well wishes!

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, I took a picture of it LOL so I'll just show it to the vet on Monday and get another sample ha ha

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Congratulations! Sounds like you've got colitis!

Collect some in a plastic spoon and put it in a ziploc baggie in the fridge for later, but I'm willing to bet she'll give you more samples.

Be very careful to monitor her hydration level. A dog with bloody diarrhea can dehydrate quickly. When Cash had colitis he had to be hooked up to IV fluids.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
This could also be a sign of IBD. Chance's stools got mucus and blood in them as well. Hope you can get to the vet soon. You may need to repeat the bloodwork. Chance's eosinaphil levels were elevated and protein levels were very low. Hope your dog feels better soon!

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
A picture is about all you can do with this poop. Freezing and time will destroy any worm eggs in it. You need to get as close to a steamer as possible when you are able to take one in.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll will just toss the frozen poop then LOL

and yeah, I just spent $800 less than a month ago (I think) on her labs and stool samples, ugh.
I think I will just monitor her stools until Monday. She has had this before but I was hoping all the IV fluids and meds would have nipped it in the bud.

·
Registered
84 Posts
My dog has had diarrhea that sounds exactly the same, several times w/in the last couple months. He was just diagnosed w/ IBD. He's on metronidazole, which is helping with things, but we're still juggling food/meds to find the right combo. Do you have any canned i/d, or any access to getting some? That's the only food that my dog will tolerate right now or when his diarrhea gets that bad.

I've found that when he has the bloody/mucousy diarrhea, it usually lasts for about 8-12 hours, then he is empty. During those hours though, it is pretty painful for the dog.

If your dog tolerates any grain, oatmeal has been very helpful for mine. I overcook it and mix in some water in his bowl with it. Its a good fiber option to help with stool and is easy on their system when it's that inflamed.

And another note from my own experience lately, do not use rice if he's that inflamed. Apparently rice can be pretty sharp on an intestine/colon that is already that inflamed. The oatmeal would be a much better option.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. The vet had her on I/D for one week then said to put her back on her food. I have never tried oatmeal just Greek yogurt. He stools are runny just firm stools with chunks of gross bloody mucus in it. It's weird. But I should know more soon.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Sounds like IBD which can inflame the colon and cause blood in the stools. Go with a chicken and rice diet plain no salt or other flavor for a few days and then begin to mix her food back in slowly. If the TOTW is a new food for her it may be the reason she is having issues especially if the transition wasn't slooooow.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Be careful with chicken. both my dogs that had IBD could not tolerate chicken or beef, and since that is the first thing you typically try with rice, made them both much worse. Chance can only tolerate salmon. The Tylan powder saved his life. He is on a very low does of sulfasazine, metronidazole and pred with the tylan. Almost off all but the tylan, nothing worked till we added the tylan. Texas A&M recommended the Tylan when nothing else was working.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We are just switching to Salmon next week from the Lamb (which was suggested for her sensitive tummy). She has had this before on other foods. I was hoping being on the TOTW would have helped.
Her personality is improving though LOL she is starting to act like a 5 yr old instead of a 15 yr old grumpy dog.
The new vet didn't seem concerned. He said monitor her, if she acts sick bring her in and to watch her stools.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Be careful with chicken. both my dogs that had IBD could not tolerate chicken or beef, and since that is the first thing you typically try with rice, made them both much worse. Chance can only tolerate salmon. The Tylan powder saved his life. He is on a very low does of sulfasazine, metronidazole and pred with the tylan. Almost off all but the tylan, nothing worked till we added the tylan. Texas A&M recommended the Tylan when nothing else was working.
I am pretty sure it is IBD too. Vet just said she had Irritable bowel but I'm sure it's the same thing.
She has never done well on chicken or beef, none of my dogs do but I thought that was because we are practically vegetarians at my house lol

But Vet hasn't put her on anything except the I/d briefly and had her at the vet for some IV and antibiotics for 3 days.
I am not familiar with Tylan, I will have to research it. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
If you dog continues to have this issue, ask your vet to please check the eosinaphil and protein levels. Sure sign of IBD is elevated eosinaphils and low protein absorbtion. Chance was so bad he was eating six cups of food a day and loosing weight rapidly. He nearly died in August. Since we added the Tylan powder he has been able to eat treats that have have venison and lamb in them without getting sick now as well. I am so happy that since adding the tylan I have been able to reduce a lot of his other meds and hope to have him off all other meds by June. Slow and easy, though the vet agrees that he will probably have to take the Tylan powder for the rest of his life. 15 teaspoons costs about $48 and is a months worth for us. He takes 1/4 tsp twice a day and the vet says we can always increase that if we need to while trying to get him off the other meds and see if that works. Want to get him off the prednisone, but that is the last medication we are going to work on. Next week we are reducing his sulfasalzine to 1/2 pill every two days (down from 4 a day-this has taken 5 months) and then reduce the metronidazole some more (he is down to one a day from 4, also has taken five months). I do one medication at a time so I can monitor his stools and see if there are any recurrances and so far, none. Best of luck and you can PM me if you have any further questions. Have dealt with IBD with two dogs over the course of the last nine years.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts