German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I've been on this forum for about 3 months now and have learned SO much thanks to this forum and some awesome members. My 5 month old is coming along nicely thanks to a lot of info I've got off of here.

Yesterday I was reading through one of the training forums and someone posted a link to an article that I thought was a really good read and I have seen a number of other amazing links given on here. I was thinking it'd be cool if there was one thread full of good links to articles or to videos, on any topic regarding dog training, diet, cheap food/deals or really on ANYTHING. If you found it to be valuable, why not share? Hopefully people can get in on this and make it a one stop shop for valuable links and info. As I find more links/videos I will post them along the way. Thanks to everyone who's helped me in my short 3 months. I've learned a lot but have a lot more to learn.

Here is the one that I saw yesterday on NILIF(I knew of this, just thought this explained it more thoroughly then I understood): Nothing in Life is Free

Here is a link to Dr Becker's videos where she discusses a variety of topics (really like her stuff!): Pet Health Videos | Grooming, Training Videos - Mercola.com

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wouldn't be surprised if I got some of them from you. I try to keep track of the good ones I've come across so I can revert back to them if I need too. With this, I guess I'll at least have all the ones I like in the same place.

·
Banned
860 Posts
Every dog owner should watch this I think.

It gives a holistic view on why to use a balanced training approach.
If you are going to find a professional to work with, everything he brings up is vitally important.
This knowledge can help anyone get on the right path, and selecting the right resources and people to help you.

He sets up a standard of competency.
Professional trainers, who frankly do whatever they like, will have a harder time justifying their methods in an unregulated industry with class individuals like this guy around and with his growing popularity.

My hope is that he becomes the face of dog training, instead of Ceasar or Stillwell who are lacking.

·
Banned
860 Posts
Link Recommendations
Sorry if I sound rude. But I think this is a very good thread.

I want to see what people really relate to, and what they consider a good source of information.

I will not criticise what you post here as hall of fame.. But please understand that they cant all be worthy of hall of fame in your opinion.
You need to find something that you have taken ownership of.. works for you.. And has potential to help others.

Otherwise there is no point to this thread... Might as well just search google and ignore this thread.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You're right. I understand that different trainers offer very different view points, but I personally don't follow any trainer 100%. My own personal belief is that I think they all offer different perspectives, ideas, concepts, and I think they all can have value depending on what you're training for and the dog. I take bits and pieces from each one.

Through training my dog so far I've found that one trainers method to teaching a trick/behavior hasn't been effective, while another one has.

If somebody wants to say they're all about leerburg, that's fine. I'm not a huge fan of Zak but I do think he does set up some good training scenarios. Watching different trainers gives me different ideas.

I'm just posting videos/articles on here that I think are good/useful, or things that give me ideas on how I can create a quality training scenario for my dog later, or just a better understanding of dogs in general. Really with this I just liked the idea of having good links in one place. People don't need to agree on what's good and what isn't. Maybe a reader will say, "I like the videos/articles Lykoz posts but not the one dhaney posts". I've fine with that. I've googled a ton, and still haven't found some of the links I've posted or ones I've seen others post on other threads.

·
Banned
860 Posts
Probably the best most knowledgeable information about Neutering and Spaying in my opinion.

A vet who actually is practising like any human health professional would.

Agree or disagree.. Everybody who owns a dog and who is not sure weather to Neuter/Spay needs to watch this.

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
I'm going to temporarily lock this, and clean it up when I have more time. It will be a favorite links thread for people to put their favorite links in one place, and not a forum for people to push their personal agenda at the detriment of others, nor a place for petty bickering between people who should know better.

Future posts that are contentious in tone and take a personal bent will also be deleted.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
To anyone checking out this thread... I am just like most people on this site who are here to learn a few things to help their dog become the best companion possible. I don't expect everyone to like all the links/videos I post. I just see helpful links (in my opinion) getting posted in threads that just get buried. The more knowledge you have, the better/happier off you and your dog are. Feel free to add some of your own.

·
Banned
1,341 Posts
The most knowledgeable police k−9 trainer in the world!

Much of what is on this site applies to pet dogs, particularly his sections on rank drive and how to attain leadership without conflict.

CLICK HERE

1 - 20 of 24 Posts