German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kai is 9 months and has recently entered his teenage phase, he's gone from being the most alert and wanting to please pup ever to one who has found his nose and found girls! (there was an in season bitch at training this week). Previously he used to hang onto my OH's every word and would work like a dream regardless of surroundings or situation. Now the nose goes down or he pulls at the lead to get to people/other dogs.

While I know this is just a phase, and the thorough grounding we have put in will come out in the end, my OH is finding it very hard to cope (he trains Kai while I am running the class) and is feeling very demotivated and frustrated which I am sure is going down the lead and not helping. I am trying to think of anything which may raise the value of him in Kai's eyes and would appreciate any suggestions.

One person has suggested that my OH completely ignores Kai for a few days (no play, interaction, feeding etc) and see if that helps but I am not convinced.

·
Registered
815 Posts
You'll be very surprised at how much that can actually work! Nico was a very independent pup, which I wasn't used to, so I would always be calling him over to play, cuddle, etc. and he would just tolerate it and then run off to be alone. At work (dog daycare), he could care less if I was in the playroom or not, because all he wanted to do was play with the other dogs.

As soon as I began supervising the business and was in the playrooms with the dogs much less than I used to, and also began letting him play/sleep undisturbed at home, WHAM! He suddenly started to value me a lot more, and now is a real mama's boy. He's right beside me when I stop in to check on the dogs, and always keeps an eye out even when playing to see if I'm going to leave. Nothing too dramatic, but just more attached to me than he used to be.

Hope it works for you!

·
Registered
964 Posts
I struggle with giving Cooper too much attention. I just adore him and always want to pet and cuddle him when he comes near.

I TRY to refraim because it goes against NILIF plus to me it seems like a weak leader. Also I did it with my Boxer and she definately has grown to question my leadership at every turn.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts