German Shepherds Forum banner

81 - 100 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Goals can also change after time. When we lost our last GSD who was a housepet only, I looked for another. When the breeder asked what I wanted to do with the puppy, I said he would be a house-pet, beloved companion, and part of our family, but that was it. I started with basic OB with Gunner for training and socialization and I enjoyed it so. Then we tried an agility class, for fun. Well, now a year later we are still training in OB and agility and might even try a competition or two. So my goals have changed. Now, most importantly, he is our friend and a dog my kids can hug and hang on and maybe (just maybe) I can get a CD or an agility title on him.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I participate in rally obedience and obedience with Sydney she has her RN. This year we are hoping to tackle the CD and rally advanced. I am totally adicted to training my dogs. In the future I would love to try Shutzhund and SAR. I am constantly amazed at how versitlie these dogs are! I also try to teach my dogs manners at home too but they may be a bit too spoiled for that!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Basically I want Ti to be a well-mannered pet, but I have a little bit of interest in agility or maybe SAR. I don't know if SAR is really a possibility, though, because we're going to try to start a family soon, and I know you have to be available at a moment's notice. *Picturing myself walking with dog through woods, searching for bodies, while carrying infant in a Bjorn.*

·
Registered
13 Posts
I train about 8 hours a week at home and 6 hours every Sunday with Michigan Midwest Police K-9 Academy. Kaiser is having a hard time with his basic obedience but is ready for certification on his tracking (live) We are also in process of his cadaver training. He can recognize the scent but still has learned no cues. All in time. His tracking is going the best of all 3 areas right now. He is averaging a 1/4-1/2 mile track with it being aged about 1- 1 1/2 hours. No tracking flags now and the person is at the end with his reward. We have done some split tracks and scent discrimination tracks and run-offs. He has fun with the single run-offs also. Has lots of high drive

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
My training goal is to convince Keeta that I, and I alone, am the Supreme Ruler of the Universe and Everything Else, so she will finally start taking my decrees seriously . . .

Did I say seriously? Seriously, I adopted Keeta as a one year old untrained, unsocialized GSD/Rotti mutt from the pound as a companion dog. I had no plans on training her as my first and previous dog was pretty close to perfect without me doing anything much in terms of training, so I figured I was just a natural with dogs . . . Keeta did not agree with my opinion of myself. So . . . I started taking her to basic obedience just to teach her to stop pulling my arm off. Well, she was doing so well in class, and we were having so much fun, I just couldn't stop. After Level II obedience and a Tracking course, I started Schutzhund and two months later she had her BH. She is showing a lot of promise and potential, something that the trial judge remarked on. She loves tracking, she loves obedience, she LOVES bite work. Who would have ever thought that I would WANT to have my dog bark at people in a frenzy and run and jump at them full speed??? My goal is Schutzhund I in a year, and total world domination in the time frame afterwards. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
10,225 Posts
My training goal is to get a dog for Schutzhund, ASR, and any or all of the following: agility, flyball, obedience, tracking, anything else we like. Club level or competition level matters not, so long as we're both having fun. Oh, and the dog has to have a good "off" button and be able to settle into home life after a good day's play. So long as I can raise a pup to the fullest potential of its genetics and not go insane at the process if I end up getting more than I bargained for and we all come out of it intact with a few titles and fancy tricks, I'll be happy. Aim high, go for the highest, and though we may never reach it at least we'll have a blast trying.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I would be very pleased if my GSD would fetch a bit better. He will chase the ball, stick, etc., but does not want to come all the way back to me. He wants to sit down with it and 'covet' the object. Or maybe he's thinking--"Gee, why bring it back when you just keep throwing it AWAY /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/05_biggrin.gif"

·
Registered
196 Posts
My ultimate goal is to compete in Schutzhund. But mainly I want a very obedient dog that is very observant of me and follows commands off leash without hesitation.

Due to foot surgery the schutzhund goal is on the back burner for a little while longer, but we have been working, and doing great with the basic obedience training, and some trick training.

I saw a dog named Skidboot, Rest in peace he passed away a few days ago at age 14, and I am trying to train her to be as good as he was. We started with touch it today and she caught on so quick, she loves to touch anything with her paw so it came natural to her. If only all the other was as easy.....lol.

·
Banned
2,415 Posts
Appreciate your response. I signed my dog up for the protection training part of Schutzhund and he just didn't cut it. Between being bored and not being able to jump up on people the session was short-lived. The genetics are there, but prior to the training Timber was taught not to jump on folks and never liked tug of war. It was a learning and somewhat humbling experience.

Nonethless, I have absolutely no doubt the dog would protect me if he ever needed to. He is loyal and cautious of strangers.

To answer the original post Timber's training is a bit different. I am teaching him to compete with both retrievers and labs in Dock Dogs events. The next event is in Dubuque, Iowa and I am hoping he will at least win a medal in the novice category.

I am also teaching him to play baseball. This one sounds weird but I set up a line in the back yard seperating the outfield from the Infield. If I tell him to play outfield he goes to the outfield and waits for me the throw the ball, ditto with Infield. My next step is to teach him to go to specific positions so when I say go to First Base he will do it, etc.

·
Banned
2,415 Posts
Just for the heck of it the next time you play ball with the dog grab a lawn chair, a soda or beer and throw the ball. If he doesn't come back use reverse phsycology and tell the dog that's fine. I am to busy to play anyway.

I did that with my German Shepherd and it worked, after a minute or so the dog would pick up the ball and drop it in my lap.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Gracie is a shy dog. Whether it's genetics or ??, I don't know. At this time, my primary goal is to build her confidence and social skills around other dogs and people. We attended basic obedience classes (6 weeks) when she was 4 months and then I enrolled her in a second basic obedience at 10 months (8 weeks) mainly for the socialization aspect. We dropped out of that one after 5 weeks as I didn't like the trainer's methods. I plan to enrol her in another obedience class this Fall but am doing careful research first to find the right trainer this time. Also, I need a small class as Gracie gets overwhelmed if the class is too large. Meanwhile, we are working on socialization and desensitization. She also has high prey drive, when it comes to cars. She's come a long way and has overcome a lot of her fears, such as riding in the car, she LOVES going in the car now. She's getting much better when meeting new dogs in a one on one situation. Still very cautious, but looks foward to meeting them when we're out on our walks/hikes and has demonstrated confidence in greeting and initiating play. Last night we got a nose to nose greet and a play bow. After the chase me, she was confident enough to chase back. That was a huge step for her. Although she's still somewhat skiddish around new dogs and people, she will warm up to them if allowed to approach on her terms and in her own time. If we can get past this, I would eventually love to see her attain CGC. Who knows, perhaps agility?

·
Registered
9,651 Posts
I started Ris in basic obedience classes in November (she had no OB training prior to me rescuing her in July 2006). We've been in the basic OB classes since and she's in Level 3 now. I had planned and still do plan on getting her involved in agility. She has had some experience with a few of the obstacles and just loves it. We started canine freestyle in March and she seems to enjoy that as well.

Ideally, I'd like to get some titles on her. First one I'd like to get is her CGC though she's not quite ready yet. MUCH closer than when I got her, however.
Once we get started in agility, I'm hoping to get some titles on her there. Maybe some freestyle titles as well. Who knows. I'm willing to work with Risa on anything that she likes.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Originally Posted By: agilegsdsI'll admit it - I'm a trainaholic. Most of my free time is devoted to training. I'm in agility classes 2 nights a week, obedience classes one night a week, trials on the weekends, correction clinics/fun matches a few times a month, and training at home in between all that.
agilegsds. How I envy you!
I, too, am a "trainacholic" I purchased a second dog, just to do through the training routine again and fix all the mistakes I made wiht dog #1.

We only have one obedience trial about every three months here in Jamaica, and no agility, schutzhund, etc!

My goal for my Rottie (dog #1) is his CD. I got hooked on training with this dog, so all my free time is spent in training and proofing my dogs.

For my white shepherd, I'm planning on a Cd for her, too, and I want to prove to folks here that the white shepherds can excel in obedience, just like their colored counterparts.

My Rottie's entered in the NOvice obedience trials in July. My little white shep. will be entering in September or December of this year.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hmm, my thoughts are going around Beginners, Intermmediate and Advance Obedience classes, AKC obedience,and then go from there...much more to come Im sure of it.

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
We have a new goal - James (almost 4 y/o skin kid) is learning to work with her.

Morgan's getting lots of treats she doesn't deserve but the boy is learning.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
My goal when I got Molly was to have an obedient GSD. I planned on taking her to basic obedience class and hopefully have a wonderful, happy dog. We started classes a little late and didn't get her started until she was almost 5 months old and we started off with 2 rounds of Petsmart classes. After those classes I found a CGC class at the local GSD club by my house and signed us up for that. After failing the CGC test the first time, I signed Molly up again for the class and passed the CGC the second time around. After taking those classes and being at a GSD club, I was hooked. Molly has been attending classes ever since. We currently are working in AKC obedience and hope to one day soon start competing to get her CD and hopefully move on from there. We need one more leg for her rally novice title (which we hope to get tomorrow) and I plan on moving forward in rally as well. We are also very active in agility and hope to start competing with her by the end of this summer. We also just passed the GSDCA Temperament Test a couple of weeks ago.
So I went from wanting just an obedient companion dog to wanting to compete and continue on with all the training that I possibly can with her. I'm officially addicted to training

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
The same way as MollysMom, I wanted an obedient German Shepherd. When we got Cody, I knew that I had to take him to obedience classes, otherwise we might have a disaster in our hands

We started out at Petsmart puppy class, which was fine for that time. After a few weeks I found a local GSDTC and we started a puppy class there. Now we have moved on to the Novice A class and we also train in Open class, since it is right after the Novice and the trainer invited us there to learn more and get more critique... (great!!
)
I had convinced myself that I will not do schutzhund with my dog. My husband and I went to a GSD breeder (our friend's dog's breeder) and had Cody evaluated (just for fun) for protection. Cody LOVED it!!! He barked and barked and barked at the decoy, who was just doing some drive building with him... he swung the puppy rag by Cody, and he grabbed on it so tight and would not let go... after a few times, the decoy let Cody carry the rag all the way outside and to the car... His tail was up, he was so happy!
Ever since then, we knew that we had to find a place to train schutzhund with him, which we did, and he LOVES it!! He has progressed from the puppy rag to bite toys, tugs and already to the sleeve... within just a few months.
I have also signed up for agility classes with him, unfortunately we have not had a chance to start those yet due to the size of the class..
And finally... we started doing Search and Rescue with Cody along with tracking.. We will see how all of this fits into our calendars..
Cody has his CGC title and we are working on getting his CD and BH this year. Hopefully it will happen...

·
Registered
203 Posts
With all my dogs we've done Obediance, but when we moved to germany we figured it was time to try something new. So when we got Ricca we decided on Schutzhund. Through some nifty coincidental meetings I met Tonya, who's on the board of directers for her Schutzhund club. We attended a couple classes, and I purchased Micca, who has a great start in the sport.

Our goal is to continue training when we get back to the US, for each to earn their SchIII titles to prove they're breeding quality. With Micca it's really important, as each name on her pedigree has a title. Can't stop with her. Ricca I have to see her papers to see what her lines have done. Ricca may or may not be spayed, still a lot up in the air on her.

Conformationally they've got it. Brains, they've got it. Both are true loves around everyone, not a temperment flaw in sight. But we need training, work, and a few more years of maturing until I know I can secure my Shepherd owning future with quality, genetically clean dogs. I'm doing my best to make sure I won't have to go through the heart ache of losing a dog too early. No one should have to go through that.

And to top it off, I'll have perfectly mannered dogs that I can take anywhere and not be embarrassed by.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Just got my Kati's (GSD) CD - 3 consecutive trails- 3 legs - CD
Right now we are training from CDX and UD.

Leos (Hubbies GSD - from a bad breeder) is training for Rally. Its a challenge for them both - Leo has Pannus and a host of medical problems and Hubby is not exactly "The Dogwhisperer". I really admire the two.

Little Duke is taking advance Obedience over - he is now a year old - the teenager from **** LOLOLOLOL. After that competetive Obedience

Spin (BC) is getting ready to start showing in Novice B Obedience by this winter

El Bandito (BC) started Obedience show class a couple of month ago he should be ready for the ring by spring

Cinder (aussie/kelpie) will try for her 2 and 3 leg in UCD - them UCDX

All my little stinkers have their CGC (Exect Leo).
Spin is addicted to Agility

We all will start Sheep Herding since I just got 6 dogbroke sheep.

And of course there is always Rally.

BTW I also have a fulltime job to pay for all the lessons and entryfees

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
I can't believe how long this posting has become! What a talented bunch of dog and a commited bunch of owners!

WE ROCK!

81 - 100 of 191 Posts