German Shepherds Forum banner

61 - 80 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I have been training informally with Dante since he was 9 weeks old, and formally when he was 11 weeks. He has a beautiful temperament and it's my goal to compete in obedience and go as far as one can go in that sport, but also I would like to do therapy work. After (or during) the obedience training, I think I'd like to try tracking. I used to train and compete in agility with a former GSD, but ever since one instructor told me that it brings out the prey drive in dogs, I've decided not to "test" the waters with Dante. He's a very sweet pup and I don't want to rock any boats. You'd have to know everything that I went through with Micah in order to understand my reluctance with agility. I had Micah in agility because a trainer told me that it would boost his confidence. I'm not sure how much it helped in that area, but I do know that he grew more and more aggressive, especially after coming off the course. He loved agility, and he was very good at it. With Dante, I want to steer way clear. I know many people with dogs in agility and their dogs are fine...I just don't want to take chances. (sigh)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Sadie my older female has a herding instinct certificate, a CGC, a BH and one leg toward a CD. I hope to be able to finish her CD by this fall. For Nashoba, he's only 3 months old--so far we have been working on house/crate training, light leash work and I have just started the sit. I had a bad accident last Feb and am not able to train like I was so I doubt we'll go the ScH route this time. But I am planning on obedeince and tracking titles. And then we'll see. Minta

·
Registered
137 Posts
Our training goals are CGC at the very least. Zahra has one class left in basic ob. I plan to work with her on my own for a while before moving on to intermediate. (baseball & soccer with the kids are taking up lots of time right now to commit to regular classes)

She's my first dog, so I have lots to learn. I need to asses what her strengths are. So far, I know she has a stubborn streak, but VERY trainable. I'm a reading/research maniac when it comes to gsd info! This site is GREAT!

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
My main 'training' goal is to have a happy and confident pup that is able to be out and about in any situation!

And then there's the goal of the #1 Agility GSD IN THE WORLD!

·
Registered
460 Posts
my training goal to have a confident dog! smart! well balanced. sch decided not to , and while he is great as a sar puppy lol he finds his boys i wont be putting him into any professional work. I want him to beable to be with me in all situations and be my assistant!

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
My training goals are to be able to take Heidi out in public confidently on leash and to have her behave in a well-mannered way at the park. We are in reactive dog training for our leader issues (she wants to be leader). When we get these concerns out of the way, I would like to start her in agility again. She loves the agility training, but is aggressive towards the other dogs.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Training goal is to get a SchH 3 on my pup by the time he is 4 y.o., also an FH2, also an HGH title /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/01_smile.gif
He is one of these "throwback" GSDs that are good in just about every kind of work.
My training goal on my rescue is to get his BH, TR and OB titles. He won't get a SchH title due to his poor bitework. Probably a herding title as well.
Once I sell my house, I intend to buy acreage and some sheep in a year's time so they can train 365 days a year on boundary herding.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I've had Dante in obedience classes since he was 9 weeks old. When he was a baby, that was the only way I could keep him socialized with other pups. He's now almost 20 months old, and you'd think he'd be the most obedient pup on the planet....but, I haven't been that dedicated in training right now.

My goal is TDI certification. Dante will make a great therapy dog, so that's my #1 goal. However, I do plan to compete in obedience and I think I'd like to try tracking, too. Whatever is fun for him. Never will I put him through something just because I like it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I want to train my 6 month old KIRA... she has the best personality you have ever seen in any dog, but her manners aren't so great. We just got her 3 days ago and I don't know much about how to go about training her. Are they good as crate trained like my chihuahua? I know she is so active.. maybe I should keep her in the yard while I'm at work during the day? She knows to sit and give paw but she doesn't do it every time. She likes to get on my furniture which the people who had her didn't mind her doing- I have rather expensive furniture though. Do I need to get her nails clipped? How well do yall's dogs do with third party trainers?

·
Registered
98 Posts
ok, i confess... i know about CGC (Canine Good Citizen), and TDI (Therapy Dog International (?)) but what are BH, CD, FH2 and HDH?

my goals for Coffee are to have her comfortable & well-mannered in any & all situations so that she both wants to and can safely come with me to as many places as possible, to build her confidence a bit more, and to learn all her favorite games.

·
Registered
198 Posts
My goal is to have complete authority and control over my little man. I mean my little dog. Make that my great big dog!

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
my puppy is 3 1/2 months old. my goal was to do some tracking and possibly SAR work with her. i have had her in puppy class and just finished. we are going on to another obedience class now that is a little more training, and some introduction to agility.
i have gotten her very well socialized with people and going to different places. she seems to like other dogs as long as they are not to rough or to bouncy, if they are she walks away from them.
this dog is very independant in alot of ways, and stubborn in other ways.
i think she has a drive, but its an on and off thing.
i will have to work very hard to bring her to a point to be able to work her, and hopefully we will prevail and be able to proceed in that area.
debbie

·
Registered
764 Posts
The BH is schutzhund...I think it stands for companion dog in German but i could be wrong and it's a combination obedience/temperment test before you can go on to Sch 1...FH2 is a really advanced schutzhund tracking title...it's long and aged quite a while(not sure of the exact length and time) The CD is an AKC obedience title...and the last title...I'm not sure sorry.

Anja has her BH and I'd like to get her Sch1 she might not be able to and then I would just do her Tracking 1 and obedience 1 and get AKC titles. She is doing well at tracking. Rorie ...I'm working on her BH and then going from there...she loves to work! and I'd like to get AKC titles on her eventually too!!

·
Registered
327 Posts
well our training and breeding gaol is to produce great working dogs, our dogs working in protection,bomb detection, narcotic search etc, we try to prove our dogs in the best ways we can. we decided not to train our dogs in schh anymore, we fell as other police trainers that schh don't test really the protection and traking abiltys of the dog.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I need help. I am am wanting to train my dog to attack if a "bad guy" breaks in the house and not quite sure of what process to take. I have a 3 yr old and 11 mth old kids so the dog must ONLY react to an intruder (maybe act off our emotions or actions). Any suggestions, ideas, hints? I'm open to anything. Thanks

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I need help. I am am wanting to train my dog to attack if a "bad guy" breaks in the house and not quite sure of what process to take. I have a 3 yr old and 11 mth old kids so the dog must ONLY react to an intruder (maybe act off our emotions or actions). Any suggestions, ideas, hints? I'm open to anything. Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

You will probably be better off to post this under the Police & Protection Dog section.

Protection training requires a dog of certain temperament. Truth be told, many (if not most) GSDs are not suitable for this sort of training. Whether a dog has what it takes for this sort of training is determined primarily by genetics. If it's not there, you can't do anything to change that.

You would need to have your dog evaluated by a competent personal protection trainer.... and then you yourself would need to learn and watch protection training to make sure you have a full understanding of what it is before embarking on it with your dog. And BEWARE, there are many more crooks and incompetant trainers claiming to train protection dogs than there are legitimate, skilled trainers. Ask your local police K9 departments or schutzhund clubs for references.

Protection training takes just the right sort of dog, and a lot of extensive training, not just for the dog but for the owners as well. It also requires a lot of maintenance training. You can't just train the dog and leave it at that... you have to practice regularly. It is expensive, time consuming, and there is a huge liability involved. You must also be very vigilent with this sort of dog. The dog is a weapon, but unlike a gun it has a mind of it's own and can make mistakes. You must always be aware of situations where the dog could react and make a mistake.

Fact is, few people need a real protection dog. Even police K9 officers will tell you that 99% of the time just the threat of the dog is enough. GSDs are excellent deterrents. Anyone with half a brain isn't going to bother someone with a GSD or break into a home with a GSD. They have an imposing bark, look scary, and have a strong reputation as protectors. A bad guy is going to go for easier pickin's elsewhere rather than risk serious bodily harm. Anyone who will break in past a barking GSD is either completely crazy, or has a weapon or other means to deal with the dog. In which case it will require more than just the dog to stop that person and even formal protection training of the dog can't guarantee a good outcome for the homeowner.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Well I had bought Chaya with the lofty goal of doing SAR work but then she was attacked by a dog (when she was 4 months old) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/20_bawling.gif AND I found out my then housemate was HITTING her. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/30_nono.gif Then my goal with her became to get her to function in society; she had been shy before that NOW she was shy and fear aggressive. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/09_mad.gif
Well I Finally got her to a semi-functional state and we have competed a bit in Rally and are Currently training for agility /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/26_cheers.gif She loves to work with me so we have been taking abedience classes non-stop, she WILL back slid if I stop working with her. My goals are simple to continue having fun with her & compete with her if I can...any thing beyond that is a HUGE bonus.
Zander is a lazy house dog, no drive to speak of which is good because he has HD. I want to get his hips fixed then maybe make him a theraphy dog.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Number one goal would be to have a happy & confident dog. After that: tracking, rally excellent title, herding, and agility. I would love to do some theraphy work but we don't have anyone in this area that can qualify them anymore.

Pat

·
Registered
19 Posts
My goals with my 2 yr. old are to continue her basic obedience as she's a pet. My 11 month old has 7 more months till the BH Trial which we're working on being ready for on a daily basis as well as working on his protection training for his SCH 1,2,3 when he grows up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/01_smile.gif

·
Registered
128 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone who will break in past a barking GSD is either completely crazy, or has a weapon or other means to deal with the dog. In which case it will require more than just the dog to stop that person and even formal protection training of the dog can't guarantee a good outcome for the homeowner.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. Pretty sobering thought. My last GSD had the nicest deepest bark you ever heard. It sounded like a werewolf was on the other side of the door. He was very timid around strange adults, retreating a few yards with head down if they walked towards him, but the deterrent of the bark was comforting.

61 - 80 of 191 Posts