German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 40 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
WOW, I have been trying to post for 2 days now, but I can never seem to get it done so here goes.

Cheyenne (2 years old) completed Beginners, Intermmediate and Advance Obedience classes. I really didn't have any intentions on showing but I believe that we will be competing in AKC Obedience this summer. We are going to start tracking training with her next week. Since I got her at 8 weeks all she has wanted to do is follow tracks, now we have to teach her to follow the tracks we want her to.

DeeDee (will be 2 in June) has complete Beginners and Intermmediate Obedience. We started a little agility with her and starting next week she will be in Beginners Agility. I hope to be able to compete in some Agility events with her.

Lakota, (15 months) I was going to start Begginers OB with him and the first week of class, he was having his ACL replaced. So no formal training going on. Next week we were going to start some tracking training to give him something to do. I just posted in the Health section about blood coming out of his nose, so the tracking training will be put of hold I am sure for a while. With the weather being nicer, I will start working OB with him outside on ground instead of tile or a concrete floor where I train.

Val

·
Registered
71 Posts
I would like to train Jake to pull a light cart. So I'm trying to get him used to walking in a noisy park with lots of distractions, including the occasional irresponisble dog owner. So far he's doing pretty well. The "Irresponisble owner" stimuli needs work, I don't want him to tip the cart going after another dog.

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
I am on hiatus (baby due in 3-4 weeks), but work on training with husband ( not training husband, dogs..., but that is an idea :)).

Baer is semi retired due to 2 broken K9s. Lisa, I did do his breed survey (initial and final) after he broke the 2nd one, but no more SCH. Bummer, as he was trained for the SCH/IPO3 when he broke the 2nd one. So, I need to work on tracking with him for a FH.

Adie (Fenya's 1/2 sis) is on break. She will go for her IPO3 after her 1st (hopefully) litter late May. Husband trains her, from a BH up to the IPO3. Would like to get a CGC on her as well.

Husband is training two young males: one just got his IPO3 and he starts training the younger one for his IPO1. Has done basic foundation work, but wanted to let him mature a bit more.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
We're starting Lucy's first formal training this weekend. My true goal right now (and I know this will take a while) is to move her up in obedience classes until she can take and pass her CGC test. She's only 15 weeks old, and I know each successive obedience class takes a couple of months apiece, but having a definite goal in mind will help DH and I to focus. After that, we want to see if she likes agility. But for the short run, I guess just teaching her to listen will be our goal!

G

·
0 Posts
My dogs are for fun and companionship. My large Daddy dog is trained in attack, and knows German commands and sign language. He is now 10 years old, and pretty much just enjoys kicking back and having fun with his pup who just had his 8 year birthday with Cherry chip cake and frosting, with chocolate icecream.
The pup only knows english and a few german commands.
I'm bad at training him as I work all day and my work does not allow me to have my dogs with me as did my job in California when I only had the Daddy dog at the time.

G

·
0 Posts
Currently I train for obidience, mostly just to interact with the dogs and keep them active. Once I feel that I have sucessful routine I would like to compete. Also the dogs I breed are companion dogs, two of the puppies out of the first two litters are currently competing and doing well, and another is on a local farm, herding. According to the new owners this dog has been the easiest to train and most obedient GSD they have ever owned. I feel that regular training has led to my dogs ability to produce excellent pups, I also feel it is my obligation to keep the dogs active.

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
My main goal is to have a well-mannered family pet. My second goal (sometime down the road) is to train Heidi to be a therapy dog. Right now we're just working on everyday obedience in all situations.

·
Registered
916 Posts
My number one goal for training is to keep up the bond with my dog and so he feels like he has a job. He currently has his CGC and HIC. We are going for a BH and then the CD. I would also love to get him therapy dog certified. That is all my current dog will be doing. I decided to pull him from the protection work in Schutzhund due to the fact that I don't think he can physically handle it anymore. The next dog will be used for Schutzhund (if it suits the dog), obedience, or whatever is fun for the dog and keeps us close.

G

·
0 Posts
We train basic obedience and Panzer loves it. The best is that he is such a better dog for the training. We still have some trouble with retrieval now and then when he is off leash, but he is getting better. We have also started some tracking, which he loves. I am interested in SAR, but really don't know where to go from the basic tracking we are doing. I have had alot of trouble finding a trainer where we live. I have the SAR book published by the american Rescue Dog Association that I have been reading and using, but . . . does anyone have some advice?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Tsar and I currently are training for an AKC, CD obedience title. Tsar wants to make this his first goal. I swear he told me.
He real loves to do obedience work. You know that look they give you, kind of like with a smile.

We also are training in Schutzhund work. Tracking, obedience and the bite work (real only rag tag right now). Now a lot of people cringe at this, like my best half. ((My Number 1 priority is a safe family companion.))
If you have ever been to German a lot of the GSD are Schutzhund. They are real sweeties. Dog’s with a lot of confidence and loyalty to their family. Don’t fear the dog but the owner that commands them.

Our current goal in Schutzhund is the BH (Begleithund, German for Companion Dog). Basically the BH is a prerequisite for Schutzhund I, II and III. We will see from there.

Anyway, training is a lot of fun and challenging. That being the ultimate goal!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
6,119 Posts
My goals for my Lexi is a BH, AD and Tr1,2,3 eventually. She is going for her BH and AD next month, and then we will get serious about her tracking. She is limited somewhat to how far she can go by MY limitations. I enjoy tracking and it is something that we can do together. She is so focused on the tracking that she doesn't notice me stumbling and bumbling around behind her, LOL.

Branca was originally in training for her SchH titles by Dennis but I decided that I wanted her for myself and so she was taken out of training and is my 24/7 companion. Her training is constant and ongoing but she will be awarded no more titles.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I AM A NEW MEMBER AND ALSO A NEW OWNER OF A BEAUTIFUL GSD NAMED " MASON " I WOULD LOVE INFO ON FINDING TRAINERS IN MY AREA WHICH IS TN.I HAVE STARTED OBEDIENCE TRAINING WITH THE BREEDER BUT I MAY NEED SOME EXTRA TRAINING.
THANKS
lINDA

·
Registered
284 Posts
Kaiser (8mos) completed puppy kindergarten and we moved on to beg. obed. - finished that with flying colors! We are now having fun in advanced obed and really enjoying working on learning new commands (front, finish, figure 8-etc...). We are both learning at this point! He is doing real well and I think our next goal will be his CGC and then maybe work on a CD title. I would like to try agility once he has physically matured a little more. As long as we are having fun and he is sound and happy we'll keep making advancing steps and see where we go!

·
Registered
450 Posts
My Julie is a wonderful pup. I have been getting her out with people as much as I could since I got her at 7 weeks of age. When she had not had all her shots and I could not take her places I invited children from the school I teach at to play with her. After she had completed her shot series I started taking her places. Horse shows are a good place because those folks are not afraid of big puppies. Today I took her over to a horse show and one hyper little five year old boy got her all riled and excited (interpertation...NOT listening to me) I finally asked him to please stand up and pet her nicely. He got bored quickly and left. The next child to come up was a little girl who is mentally challanged. Julie was a totally different dog with her. She sat quietly and let the little girl give her a hug. She was sooo sweet....and I was so proud. Julie is only 4.5 months old!!!I was to get her CGC and CD and also train her for tracking and therapy. I think she has a great start.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Both of my pups just started beginning obedience tonight. We plan to follow up with the advanced class and then get their CGC. We also plan to do some agility classes for fun this fall. I am also interested in tracking, herding, schutzund, and therapy dog work but don't have experience in these areas.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
My first GSD and I titled him to his SchHIII. My little angel dog had her BH and CD. Jaden has big goals for him. He's only 3 months, but we intend to to Schutzhund, AKC obedience and if he's not to big and clutzy, agility. He got his first "taste" of herding goats at a stock dog trial this weekend, and now that's also high on the list to try. Not good, but he actually caught one by the tail after the judge who was workingh him told me he wasn't fast enough to catch one when I warned her I thought he'd bite them. LOL. GSD's need a "job" be it obedience for fun or a real working job. They are happiest when being mentally challenged. Cathy, Chance, Jaden and angel Zoey snuggled deep inside my heart

21 - 40 of 191 Posts