Babs -- an RE or a CD

Joy -- a CGC and an RN

Ninja and Milla -- improve loose lead walking

Whitney and Jenna -- begin off lead work, find some way to do agility

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Benny
!. Continue to work on improving my skills & continue to work towards working as a real team with him.

2. Starting agility

3. CGC

4. Working towards a TDI so I can keep taking him with me when I visit my Mom in an Assisted Living Facility and bring joy to others

·
Registered
622 Posts
Bear starts Manners 101 at the Huntsville (AL) Obedience training club in January, after that is Beyond Manners course, which, at the end of that, we can test for the CGC. We plan on going into agility, and eventually, schutzhund. I think everyone who has a GSD should at least get the CGC.

·
Registered
656 Posts
My goals are to get both my rescue girls to pass the CGC test.

My dream is to get Hope as focused on working for me as she is on chasing squirrels. Maybe get her into herding or tracking.

And maybe get Kaya into frisbee or flyball or something.

·
Super Moderator
32,162 Posts
Codmaster, have you spent much time just rewarding him for making eye contact with you spontaneously throughout the day? I've found that makes a HUGE difference! Halo started a new class on Sunday and her focus was amazing compared to the rest of the dogs in class. Not to say that she's perfect, she's 15 months old and is still easily distractible, but we have this foundation of attention built up over the past year that really helps.

·
Super Moderator
32,162 Posts
This is one of those things that I routinely start doing as soon as I bring a new puppy home. I wear my treat bag all the time, and I click and treat for attention. Our previous class, and the one we just started both want us to work on the "auto-watch" as it's sometimes referred to (as opposed to a formal "watch" command where you cue them to look at you), but I've already done so much of that that I'm spending my training time working on other things. The more you reward attention, the more he'll offer it up.

I also require eye contact in order for them to get things they want - meals, play, going outside, coming inside, going for a walk, getting in the car, etc. My dogs know that if I just stand there and wait they need to sit and look at me because they've been heavily conditioned that that's the way to make good things happen.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
At first, when we adopted Phenix, we were very excited about Schutzhund training. His parents are excellent Schutzhund's dogs, they won a lot of 1st place and it was very important to us that our puppy come from a good "line" of Schutzhund's dogs.

Now, I don't know. I'm doing obedience course with him each week+ "home training" each day. I know I want to do some obedience competition with him, I want him to be achieved and to not get bored! I don't know if one day, I will be abble to traine him as a Schutzhund competition dog (obviously, it's in his blood, very good and strong bite), but for sure, he is not going to be what we call an "home dog" lol :)

·
Registered
594 Posts
Love this topic!!
I've been participating in AKC obedience trials since I was 16 (yes, that's a long time ago!). I've titled dogs but find my true joy comes not so much from the placements (they are exciting, though!) as much as from the fun we have in the process. Training together in classes, practicing in various locations inside & out, watching the progress, solving problems, learning new methods to approach training with, and just plain enjoying the time with my dogs. I love it so much I joined an AKC training club so I could meet and spend time with other people who love the sport as much as I do. Made many, many good friends and learned a TON from them. I also began assisting in classes with this group, and am now a head trainer teaching CGC and Beginner classes, as well as assisting our Advanced instructor with his classes. My favorite part of the classes is watching the progression with new student/dogs from week #1 chaos to week#8 where all dogs are heeling on a loose leash, doing a nice recall, and holding a 2 minute sit stay. You don't need to be a competitor to appreciate a well-behaved companion!

181 - 191 of 191 Posts