German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a few Shepherds over the last 50 years and they all have suffered with dysplasia to some degree, but I have never had a Shepherd that lays like this one. My vet calls it laying "frog legged" and is very optimistic that his hips are probably good. I am considering having them x-rayed to verify, but would like to get some additional opinions. BTW, he just turned 6 years old in September. Sorry for the picture being sideways, but that's the way it uploaded.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,637 Posts
I assume you’ve uploaded the correct photo?
I don’t see frog legs.... I see a nice, normal, ideal, Sphinx position.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's just what his vet called them I think he was referring to the way a frog sits before it jumps. Just a guess though. I call it the Sphinx as well. I've always wanted one of my Shepherds to sit like that, but he is the first.

·
Super Moderator
6,637 Posts
Is this just a breed characteristic or does this potentially indicate a problem?
In my experience it’s a breed characteristic although all Golden’s don’t do it and many other breeds do (especially small dogs and puppies). I work with a lot of Golden’s so that’s where I see it the most. Hips x rayed, excellent ratings, no correlation to joint problems that I’ve seen.

·
Registered
850 Posts
We've had a number of these guys who laid with "frog legs"...mostly as puppies and young adults-typically for us were males....last month we lost our 12+ year old black male Cody-he'd lay that way when a whim struck him all his life--in the summer when we came inside after playing he'd try to position his self over a HVAC vent like a "frog".....He always acted like it felt great....in his old age he was only mildly arthritic as compared to some of our others....I remember when he tore his CCL as a young dog the surgeon commented that his hips looked decent as far as dysplasia

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Back to my original question, does anyone think it would be prudent to have his hips x-rayed?

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
My 18mo lays like that all the time when he is waiting for me to finish something. Funny everyone calls it the sphinx because that is what I dubbed it in my own head. Always struck me to be the least lazy lay. Gut tells me this indicates good posture and less likely to have hip problems. If it were me I wouldn't be worried because of him laying in this position. Example below:

Attachments

·
Registered
27,228 Posts
Back to my original question, does anyone think it would be prudent to have his hips x-rayed?
I always have my dogs pre-lim'ed and then again at two. It helps the breeders, information on what they are producing. I want to know what is going on inside(spine too) so we can be proactive in case there is an issue with joints/structure.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I agree with oxy and I am actually going to get my girls hips xrays done in January. Be4 she is a year so I can make sure she is good be4 the contract runs out, anything after a year is null and voided. Then I might do them for SV at a yr old then again at 2 yrs for OFA.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for your replies. I guess I will speak to his Vet about getting them X-rayed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts