German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wolf Caesar, seems to need variety. Now that means chicken, lamb, primarily beef, and I do mix a bit of high grade kibble in with the bites of meat.. He is now 19 weeks next Saturday, and tolerates the mix just fine. Here is something I just discovered: The Food is often too cold for them, hurts their teeth maybe?

He seems to get weary of the Raw Diet at times, but that is probably just me. This morning, for variety I did a BBQ of today and tomorrow meat, lightly BBQ brown and a little crusty, fist sized chunks, still raw inside. They seem to like the treat difference.. But here is something I have found is that part of the "picky eater" problem has been that the meat was too cold straight out of the fridge. Even warmed up in the microwave for 30 seconds and mixed, and he ate twice as fast. They really want it not too hot, not too cold, about lukewarm and they gobble it better..

I don't know if it hurts their teeth, or just not used to the cold meat? Anyway, he eats far better after the meat is a little warmed in the microwave for 30 seconds in a bowl. Or after I BBQ, and the meat is warm. It smells better, that must help. Anyway, if your pup is bit picky, it may be the cold hurts their teeth!! Try warming the food. Mine just does not like it cold, and neither does my oldest GSD now 10...

I hope this is a help... lone Ranger in Oz... Doing a bit of "Dances with Wolves"

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
I always serve room temp...I take out of fridge before his a.m. walk (works out to be about 1.5 hrs by the time he's fed) and dinner a couple hrs. prior...if I forget I submerge in bowl of warm water for 10-15 mins. in a plastic baggie

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Thanks Lone Ranger. I was annoyed that Fiona did not eat 2 chicken breasts and a beef rib. Could not figure out why. It kills me to throw meat away. I have 3 bags of kibble, then Fiona is going 100% raw. Now I will try keeping it room temp.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I was wondering about this. Berlin was weaned on raw/kibble mix, but since being home has been ignoring his kibble. His appetite hasn't been great yet, a lot of times I simply incorporate his chicken chunks into our training sessions as treats. But maybe I should start warming it slightly... I've simply never had a problem with appetite and eating raw meat before.

Berlin was also getting goats milk and yogurt in his diet, the breeder recommends mixing some goats milk or yogurt into their food if they aren't really wanting to eat it.

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
Be careful of putting things in the microwave to warm them. It will start to cook things including the bones. If you feel the need to warm the food, stick it in a bag in warm water instead.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
puppies can be sceptical or cautious if they did not have the experience of feeding raw at the breeders'.
Even a nearly one year old that I took in recently, kibble fed, sort of played with her first offerings of chicken frames. A few days later she was carrying her frame back to the kennel and it would be scarfed down pronto.
Mine get it straight from the butchers , straight from the freezer, no problem .
I wouldn't mix kibble with raw --

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wouldn't mix kibble with raw --
Hello Carmen,
Biologically why would you be against the mix? Mine seems to go OK with it, just a little variety. Some days he gets all raw, some days lightly BBQ, some days beef, lamb, chicken, brisket, some days raw on top of kibble. Now that he is older (19 weeks) it does not seem to bother him in any way. The Nutro is Natural, dried chicken and rice, and my fall back position for "on the road"...

So, any way, I take that you are a RAW Purist, any biological reasons??

Kind regards, lone Ranger in Oz...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts