German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I watched this video: Dr. Karen Becker: How to Control Dog Food Allergies (Video)

The gist is that the speaker is recommending frequent rotation of dog foods.

She says that feeding the same protein source over time can develop sensitivities. She feeds 11 or 12 different foods and rotates nightly - obviously not practical for most of us to have that many bags of food around, but what about 2 or 3? Also that buying one brand of food for life is a myth and is no more good for our dogs than if we were to buy the exact same brand of food all the time for ourselves.

She also says dogs do not have a need for carbohydrates - corn, wheat, rice. Do dogs process carbs differently than humans - do they not need that for energy?

Kind of makes sense, but totally a new idea to me as I always thought change had to be so gradual and done as seldom as possible.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I feed my GSD TOTW and I rotate between all 4 formulas.

I like that he gets Venison, Lamb, Duck and Salmon.

I wouldn't want to eat the same thing everyday so why would I make my dog eat the same thing everyday?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I'm considering doing the same, but every time I go to the store I look around at the Acana grain free brands (he's on Acana Pacifica) and always end up grabbing the same bag... I'd be interested to know what the majority opinion is here. I'm going to definitely try giving a different Acana food next time...

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I am all for rotating between different formulas from 1 brand of kibble but I dont think I would rotate between different brands of kibble.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
I have noticed an overall improvement in my female who developed a flea allergy when I started rotating. She gets natural balance LID (she was on EVO). My male is on TOTW because he needs a little more protein and fat due to activity level (work)

My understanding is that pregnant and lactating bitches *should* have a source of carbs in the diet but that it was not needed for maintenance. I could be wrong; I recall reading that in Merck several years ago but did not find it more recently.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone else?

I was thinking more about this - would there be any benefit to combining two foods? For example, Panzer currently eats a chicken protein source kibble. What if I was to mix in a grain-free venison (like TOTW)?

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
No. Stay with one food. If there is a verified problem switch the source of protein. It is best to save novel proteins until you need them - if you need them I should say.

What she recommends is foolish.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts