German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So much is talked about with height, color and other things I wanted to know what is considered the proper weight for an adult GSD, both male and female. What i want to know is by the standard, which I know is debatable, what do you consider to be the correct weight.

·
Super Moderator
6,271 Posts
i like a 70lbs GSD regardless! (but i believe this is within range for both M/F)

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
My dog would look sickly at 70 pounds. He is 27 1/2 inches at 85- to 90 pounds. (Lost some weight)
You can JUST see his ribs in the back.
It really depends on the dogs bulid.
I hate when people say my dog is too fat.
Dogs are like people reguarding weight.
Someone at 5'4 and 130 pounds could look just right.
(just an example!)
On another type of build they could look just a bit chubby.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I have a tall thin one at 70ish lbs and a short stocky one at 60ish lbs. Personally, I love the size of my smaller girl and would like one even smaller...maybe in the 55-60 lb range!

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Me too! 70ish is perfect in my opinion! I like that Nadi is 72 and she is of good weight...no more tho or she will look & be fat! Z is 60, and I can't get the little bugger to gain anymore, no matter what I do. He is a German Showline fellow and only 24" at the withers, so maybe it is just meant to be that he stays 60ish.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
I wouldn't want Zappa at 70 lbs. He looked kind of sickly and weak at 71. The pics I posted months ago do not do any justice on how he looked. He is now 78-79 lbs and is nice and trim with a waistline. He is also 27 inches tall.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I would say about 65-70lbs for females and 70-80lbs for males.

I like them lean so I wanna be able to feel ribs and know they can move without having their weight hinder them.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
The above is what I have experienced. My girls in the 60's and males in the 70's. I had a male who was way over standard on height, nearly 28", so he weighed more.

·
Super Moderator
6,271 Posts
Angel - i meant a dogs whose healthy weight is 70lbs regardless if they are male or female.

70lbs generally puts most GSD at a nice lean build around the 24.5" / 25" mark. i have a very tall female, about the size of your boy, and i'd gotten very used to her size. not until introducing my smaller male did i develop a size preference.

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
My girl is leggy and willowy, she's only 23 1/2" tall and 70lbs which is a good weight for her. When she was 60lbs, she was too thin, way too thin.

The boys I like to see more bone but not too tall. Otto is just about right, 25" tall and about 80lbs.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Originally Posted By: Camerafodderi like a 70lbs GSD regardless! (but i believe this is within range for both M/F)
Definitely have to agree with you on that. after having a 92lb+ and one over 100lbs, how nice is it to now have a male at 72lbs.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Originally Posted By: CamerafodderAngel - i meant a dogs whose healthy weight is 70lbs regardless if they are male or female.

70lbs generally puts most GSD at a nice lean build around the 24.5" / 25" mark. i have a very tall female, about the size of your boy, and i'd gotten very used to her size. not until introducing my smaller male did i develop a size preference.
So you are saying you like them a bit on the smaller side?
Sorry, Im a bit slow tonight

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
Originally Posted By: markstevenafter having a 92lb+ and one over 100lbs, how nice is it to now have a male at 72lbs.
Yeah. Otto is really solid but short. I like having a smaller male. Especially tonight when I had to get a bandaid on his back foot. 110lb Luther would have needed another adult to hold him still. Otto, I can hold his collar with one hand and get around behind him to get the foot. Luther was just too long, too tall and too strong. It was a contest every time we went to the vet, who weighs more, me or the dog!

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
After having a larger female (both taller than standard and heavier) and a male who I believe will end up in the middle/high end of the standard, I have to say.. I like them smaller.

My neighbour has a female who is about 55lbs and 22' at the withers and she is a perfect size. Small, lean, just exactly what I would like and plan to get in the future.

Stark is LONG and is on the tall side already, but I think he will be within standard.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts