German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im curious how your gsd reacts towards strangers..
Is he all out aggressive? Just a bit reserved? Or overwhelmingly friendly?

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Shasta's just a baby, but she loves everyone so far. Especially their hands. She's an equal opportunity biter.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Arwen doesnt care as long as Im content. i can take her anywhere and shes fine as long as I am. She loves meeting people and kids. She always has time for someone to pet her. But she is a good judge of character too. If she doesnt accept someone, there IS something wrong. I know this because she never acts edgy unless she senses someone isnt right.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Lucy wants attention from everyone she meets. She likes being in the middle of everything when people are involved. They can be perfect strangers and she could care less. She's very outgoing when it comes to strangers and meeting new people.

In 2+ years, she has not meant one single person she didn't like, but that's exactly how I want her to be.

Now for strange dogs, she's completely aloof. She could care less if they play with her or not. She likes to play, but she'd rather play fetch or go for a walk. More one on one stuff.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Zaidy is very mellow; she'll watch them as they approach and at the last second seem to sneak a sniff as they're passing by us; If they come up and bend down to pet her, the tail goes a mile a minute and plenty of kisses are exchanged.... :wub: Most of the time she just stares and sniffs as we pass though...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Onyx goes crazy when the doorbell rings he goes in barking mode and wont' stop no matter who it is. Just protecting me I guess. But get, annoying at times because I can't go to the door and open it without him stopping. Uncontrollable. could use some suggestion.

·
Registered
392 Posts
when we approach someone or a group, she may bark her "I'm big and tough" bark, but I stop, quiet her and won't proceed until she stops barking. once we get to the person/people, she's very excited and trys to jump and LOOOOOVES being rubbed, petted, etc. I've only met one person so far that knew to turn their back and wait until she calmed before petting her. worked really well.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Molly thinks that everybody she see's MUST want to pet her and share the love! She has never met anyone she doesn't want to give a big kiss :)

·
5,627 Posts
Raven loves everyone and thinks it is her job to greet everyone in the store or at an event. She has been doing rescue events with me for 2 years now. She even went through a stage where she would get upset if I didn't let her meet someone.

I have to warn people that they are going to get their face washed. Raven knows what I mean when I say no more kisses.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
depends on the situation.

At home, Masi would let an axe murderer in the house.

In public, she could care less about people. She would prefer strangers ignore her, as she ignores them:) She is content to be by my side, take it all in and just "be".

She does not like to be 'stared' at, she would prefer you keep your hands to yourself. She can go anywhere off leash and be perfectly fine, just has the attitude of "ignore me, I'll ignore you"..A frisbee/tuggie, toy, are her main obsessions , other things besides me:), do not exist in her world.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Well up until a week ago I would have told you that Sinister never met a stranger in his life. He loves everyone and everything. He is very friendly but not in the rude jump all over you way. He comes up and wags his tail, licks your hand and gives you his paw.

Last monday he met 2 people that he did not like at all. He lunged, growled, barked, showed his teeth and his hair went up at these 2 crackheads. This has never happened before. There was clearly something wrong with those 2 people because after they were out of view he turned back into his loveable self and he met a couple more new people after that and gave them his normal friendly greeting.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Outside Zoe is fine with strangers and mostly ignores them- inside our home is a different story though. She barks and growls with wagging tail for a few minutes and then settles down. They can't pet her though because she just walks away:)

·
Registered
594 Posts
Echo ignores, mostly. She tolerates being petted with a bored look on her face, but she doesn't ask for attention unless it's from family or good friends. Never a growl or snarl, though.

·
Registered
30,382 Posts
Jax is fine with strangers for the most part. She doesn't ask for attention. She seems to back away from anyone that comes at her to fast or smells like other dogs. Anyone else, as long as I tell her to say hi, she is fine with. If I don't tell her that she will turn her head away from them sometimes.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
When we are out of the house Bianca is generally alert around strangers, she will notice them especially at night. If they are doing something "suspicious" like running or hiding she will perk her ears up and keep an eye on them. She won't bark at them unless they act VERY suspicious.
If a person asks to pet her and say yes or if someone acts friendly towards her and I tell her to 'go say hi', she will go up to them and stand near them to be petted. Sometimes she'll lean against people if she really likes their petting.
When Bianca is in the house she'll bark at anyone who gets to close to the house or rings the doorbell/knocks even if it is someone she knows unless it is a family member (someone who lives here.)

·
2,967 Posts
I think they change as they grow up. Argos and Anka have grown steadily more aloof as they've matured. Cade was always more aloof but likes to say hi and then move on. Tag's in your lap. And Ike too. Which is a little weird because he's 8 years old...but he's very social with people.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Riley ignores people that we meet on walks and such. If they want to pet him i say sure and he just stands there and lets them pet him. At the dog park he will approach people that are near me and let them pet him,which is so good considering he was terrified of people when we got him unless he knew them, if they call him over he ignores them lol.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Echo ignores, mostly. She tolerates being petted with a bored look on her face, but she doesn't ask for attention unless it's from family or good friends. Never a growl or snarl, though.
That is exactly how Hondo is. He acts bored with the whole thing. Reminds me of an author at a book signing.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts