German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Willow sheds like mad (much more than I was prepared for)...haven't really had her long enough to know if she's "blowing" her coat right now (seems a little late) or if this is the level of shedding I'm just gonna have to get used to...but it's frankly ridiculous.

ANyway, thought it might be fun to start a thread sharing your favorite hacks for dealing with all the hair. I find myself vacuuming every day or every other day, keeping the vacuum in a handy spot..would love to get one of those small Shark things but it's out of the budget right now...

My favorite hack so far, for dealing with all the hair on my clothes, has been throwing hairy clothes in the dryer, with a dryer sheet, on low/no heat for 15 minutes. There's always quite a bit of hair in the lint trap after I do that.

Brushing her 2x per week doesn't seem to do much...Roomba is nice but it's loud and takes FOREVER to clean a room and Willow hates it (it was a gift...if I'd have known how crappy it was I'd have asked for the Shark instead). Basically my next best solution will just to be to carpet the house with carpet that matches her hair color so at least you can't see it. :)

·
Super Moderator
6,385 Posts
My routine changes every couple months... right now I groom one, groom the other, sweep and/or vacuum on a three day rotation.

Once a week, on the weekend, I do a thorough cleaning of the dog room and shake off the top blanket on my bed.... every other weekend I wash that blanket along with the dogs beds.

To get the hair out of my car I roll down all the windows and open the sunroof then hop on the highway for a couple miles.

I avoid wearing black and I don’t allow the dogs access to my living room - the only room that I have an area rug and upholstered furniture.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Nitro has multiple car rides a day. I have a heavy cotton drop sheet on the floor in the back of my car. I can roll it up to trap most of the fur. The back seat has a waterproof non slip dog seat cover, with 2 mud mats on top.

In the house - camouflage colours with the area rugs, I usually run my robotic vacuum cleaner 2 or 3 times a day. I run my spray mop over the tiles, sometimes multiple times a day.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I have three dogs, the other two are short haired but still shed. Thankfully Rio doesn’t shed that much “for a GSD” but daily sweeping is still a must. When I brush him I start off with an undercoat rake, then a slicker, finally a dandy. When he’s blowing this is sometimes a multiple times a day thing, it seems to just keep regenerating.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I'm trying to desensitize Willow to the vacuum for now--she HATES it--and feel like she wouldn't tolerate a blow dryer either. She seems nervous even just about electrical cords. Petrified of my little hair dryer. She wants to kill the Roomba though.

One of the neighboring towns has a "wash n' wag" where you can bring in your dog and groom it yourself, they supply all the stuff (baths, shampoos, dryers). I might take her in there and see how she does.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Curious what you all think, actually...if Willow's petrified of the vacuum (like watches it carefully when it's around, and if I try to bring the nozzle near her she bolts and hides), should I leash her and kinda force her to tolerate it, or try to slowly desensitize her to it? I've heard that with some fearful dogs you should make them work through their fear so they learn that nothing bad actually happens, but...don't know what the best rule of thumb would be here.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Dog blow dryer. It's a MUST for anyone with breeds that shed ...

Yeah, they are great! Instead of just having hair all in the corners of the room, you can get it EVERYWHERE! CLOUDS OF JOY!

Now all I have to do is chase the dog around the back yard with a blow dryer in one hand and a vacuum in the other. Problem solved.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Curious what you all think, actually...if Willow's petrified of the vacuum (like watches it carefully when it's around, and if I try to bring the nozzle near her she bolts and hides), should I leash her and kinda force her to tolerate it, or try to slowly desensitize her to it? I've heard that with some fearful dogs you should make them work through their fear so they learn that nothing bad actually happens, but...don't know what the best rule of thumb would be here.
LOL! Yeah, you go ahead with that. Post video of your progress.

Get used to it. Strangers will start walking up to you in the store and they will say "I see you own a GSD." Guess how they know.
Brush them until you get all of it or you start to cry. Don't be weak about the crying, either.
There is a guy who devised a plan to soak up oil spills in the ocean by using discarded hair. Find him and see if you can sell your excess.
Learn to knit dog hair sweaters. You can get some good money for them at the local flea market.
Got any old, worn-out pillows? Re-stuff them with dog hair.
Don't sit there and pick out the tufts of hair by hand. In the long run, it will only depress you.
Tell your friends that the newest French cuisine uses dog hair routinely.
It is impossible for one animal to produce that much hair. Check the locks on your doors. It is possible that someone is swapping out your dog every night with a completely different and entirely ungroomed dog.
If your GSD is white, like one of mine, spread the brushed fur around the neighborhood. It will make everyone think it snowed.

Whatever you do, don't get a Malamute. They shed.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Furminator shedding tool. I've heard it works like a charm. Haven't got one yet, but as soon as Kias starts the flood of hair I'm putting it in the cart.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Furminator shedding tool. I've heard it works like a charm. Haven't got one yet, but as soon as Kias starts the flood of hair I'm putting it in the cart.
Yeah, they are great. Furminator and a roll of 30-gallon garbage bags ought to do it. Brush until you begin to cry. Don't be weak.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Yeah, they are great. Furminator and a roll of 30-gallon garbage bags ought to do it. Brush until you begin to cry. Don't be weak.
One roll? Two! I could probably stuff a set of pillows with what comes off of some dogs in the reviews on Amazon! :D

·
Registered
141 Posts
One roll? Two! I could probably stuff a set of pillows with what comes off of some dogs in the reviews on Amazon! :D
Yeah, it's all about what comes off, and comes off, and comes off, and comes off, and comes off, etc. Repeat daily until you question your entire life and how you got to this point.

Remember your neighbors will need pillows, too.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Yeah, it's all about what comes off, and comes off, and comes off, and comes off, and comes off, etc. Repeat daily until you question your entire life and how you got to this point.

Remember your neighbors will need pillows, too.
I will question my entire generation! By the way, all my relatives love homemade gifts. They'll all love to partake in the misery!

·
Registered
309 Posts
I'm so glad I don't have a long coated dog! I won't have to rent a dumpster.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm so glad I don't have a long coated dog! I won't have to rent a dumpster.
Yeah! Sure! I have had both and the shorter haired coats don't shed much at all. You heard it here first. I wouldn't lie to you.

Post video of you combing that short haired dog until the shedding is gone. Buy extra batteries for your camera before you begin. Good luck.

No, I am not laughing out loud at your statement. Why do you ask?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Yeah! Sure! I have had both and the shorter haired coats don't shed much at all. You heard it here first. I wouldn't lie to you.

Post video of you combing that short haired dog until the shedding is gone. Buy extra batteries for your camera before you begin. Good luck.

No, I am not laughing out loud at your statement. Why do you ask?
I'm not combing him, I'm using the Furminator! I don't have that much time! Which statement? I never use LOL.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts