German Shepherds Forum banner

Young GSD with digestion issues

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Sam_Whiskey 
#1 ·
Hi everyone!

Looking for some advice on some digestion issures we’ve been having with our dog.

Whiskey is a year and a half old purebread German Shepherd. We got him when he was two months old. We were originally told he would be over a hundred pounds full grown.

Whiskey has always been a picky eater and we switched him between multiple kibbles, but he never seemed to like any of them (would barely eat 2 cups most days). Starting around four months we noticed that Whiskey never seemed to have a solid bowel movement. He seemed to switch between very loose, soft, smelly, odd colored stools and just straight diarrhea. He was always a skinny dog, but we assumed it was just because of his activity level and his disinterest in food. At around thirteen months old he was a skinny 80 lbs, but on the low end of the healthy weight. At this time he was neutered (January 2018) A few months later in March we brought him in and he had lost six pounds (74 lbs) at this point he had lost all interest in food and was still having constant diarrhea. His blood work was fine and he was clear of any parasites and worms at this time. We did a lot of research and a month later switched him to a raw food diet full time (Prey model). Whisky loved his raw food! It was the first time since we got him that he had a food drive. He was excited to eat and even had more interest in treats!. His stools were firm with barely any smell. His energy level even started to increase (which is crazy cause he was already insanely active). We started him on 2 lbs a day, but when we noticed him starting to look even skinnier we upped it to 3 lbs a day split between three meals. We were weighing him regularly and noticed he had dropped down to 70 lbs. At this point we decided to start have him tested. Most recently (June 15th) we had him weighted and he is 67lbs. He is very thin at this point with most bones visible. He has started to have more diarrhea again (diet has not changed), he seems much hungrier and has vomited a few times (unusual for him). His activity level has not changed, his coat his still shiny, and he has no dental problems.

We have had a GI panel sent to Texas to test for EPI and such. We have also sent in another stool sample that has come back clean (he had Giardia at 6 months, but has since tested clean of that)

The test for EPI has not come back, but I am hoping to get some advice on other possible disorders this could be since our vet seems a little at a lost.

Thank you in advance!

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm no nutrition or medical issue expert.....but I've owned some dogs......thyroid or pancreas came to mind when reading your post.......I'm guessing the thyroid was checked with the blood panel and the test for EPI should rule out the pancreas...one way or the other

I feed kibble so I wouldn't have a clue what to suggest... or ask you about the raw diet.....anyway consider this post a "bump" hopefully someone else will chime in....Good Luck.....keep us posted

#3 ·
Have you tried adding enzymes yet? It can't hurt and will certainly help if he has EPI. You will see a difference immediately. Simon, my EPI dog is allergic to nearly everything, even pork, which is the source of enzymes (Pancreatin) to use. I had to switch him to plant based enzymes, which he has no problem with, but have to use a bit more. He does eat kibble with a low fiber content, under 4%. There is a very informative site for EPI dogs, google will bring it up for you. There are even pictures of EPI stool to compare....oh boy!

#5 ·
Thank you everyone for the advice! We have not started enzymes yet. We are actually going to be starting with raw pancreas added to his diet. I’ve seen some studies suggesting this can supplement or even in some cases replace the enzymes. He seems to be getting a little worse the last few days with increased diarrhea and vomiting. I am hoping to bring him back to the vet on Tuesday if the other tests come back negative. Thank you everyone for your advice so far!

#6 ·
#7 ·
I had a dog come down with pancreatic enzyme deficiency at about 11 mos of age. Her symptoms before treatment sounds just like your dog. She was so bony it was painful to see. My vet offered to do blood tests, or said we could treat her immediately for a deficiency and see what happens since treatment couldn't hurt and if it was an enzyme deficiency we'd know within a couple of days. Immediately upon starting treatment (enzyme powder sprinkled on her food) her stools became normal and she steadily gained weight.

Rather than waiting could you start with the enzymes and see what happens?

Good luck, hope it all works out.

#8 ·
So the Vet got back to us today and Whiskey tested negative for EPI which is good, but now we are back to square one. Although he tested negative for worms in March the vet has some suspicion that it still might be worms so we are gonna start him on a broad spectrum dewormer tomorrow.

We are also gonna run that diarrhea panel as well as test him for food intolerance.

If anyone else has any other ideas it would be greatly appreciated! Even though Whiskey dosen’t seem to notice his weight loss and is still very active and happy I don’t think he can maintain loosing the weight at the rate he is!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.