German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you move the end table to vacuum for the first time in a month and your dog says...."Hold up! I think I left something back there" ... and proceeds to (make you wait while he) retrieves the bone that has likely been behind the chair for 3 weeks.

You might have a German Sherherd.

·
Super Moderator
5,547 Posts
Carly and I did this very thing today. She always has random toys stuffed under the furniture. And yes, the whole cleaning process comes to a halt!

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
My dog deliberately puts balls under furniture, then lies downs and quietly cries. I thought I'd fixed his 'ball getting stuck under the furniture' problem by wrapping some pool noodles in bath towels and jamming then under the furniture. I finally twigged it was a ruse to get me to play, when I discovered him one day removing a noodle and replacing it with a ball. He developed his strategy to get around the 'No" when I didn't want to play. Yes, it seems I do have a german shepherd.

·
Registered
7,429 Posts
When ever you have a conscious decision for a family member not to leave food unattended. My boy is a horrible table/counter surfer when backs are turned. Or if the ball is left out the furniture will be rearranged. Max seems to enjoy way to much dropping the ball to see if he is fast enough to catch before it rolls under the couch and to see if he can get it behind the couch- argh!!!

When buying those big packages of tape lint roll ons at Costco are necessary and think why oh why did I ever not come up with this invention.

When you find your self scratching the chest of a snuggly gsd in the middle of the night. Luna the other night was giving me a love attack in the middle of the night.

When they remind you that they will make you feel safe if anything ever went bump in the night. Last week on a early morning, I had to have some work done to my basement. I had opened the outside seperate basement door entrance so the workers can get inside the basement. The workers know I have dogs- so they know to let me know when they are on their way so the yard is clear and safe to enter in the gate. The worker had a question and walked up the basement stairs and stopped at the door before my kitchen - which has a small cat door- and called my name. Max ran over as he heard the worker head up the basement stairs and try to fit his body through the cat door and not in a friendly way all being quiet as a mouse. I told max it was alright and even though Max was on high alert he still backed up and simmered down. He was doing his job as he believed an intruder was in the house and did his job well. He had a great run after that to let all his toxins out lol!

When you get reminded that packages need to be brought in. Max will always alert if there packages at the front door! Lol he will stand by the front door where there is a a panel of glazed glass and stare and then look at me and back at the door. I know every time there is a box out there lol!

When they make you feel good. They do make everything fun and brighten up the happiest or saddest of days. They are always entertaining myself and my kids with their gsd antics!

https://instagram.com/p/BrfyGBjD-hH/

·
Registered
7,429 Posts
My dog deliberately puts balls under furniture, then lies downs and quietly cries. I thought I'd fixed his 'ball getting stuck under the furniture' problem by wrapping some pool noodles in bath towels and jamming then under the furniture. I finally twigged it was a ruse to get me to play, when I discovered him one day removing a noodle and replacing it with a ball. He developed his strategy to get around the 'No" when I didn't want to play. Yes, it seems I do have a german shepherd.
So true and funny! A great idea with noodles!

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Love all these! I also agree the pool noodle idea is genius! (too bad our dogs are too ha!)

When it's his sister's turn to go out and he sasses me while obeying the sit and wait command.

When he checks behind the shower curtain EVERY TIME I have to go pee to be sure there is no bad guy in the tub.

·
Registered
309 Posts
When he knows 65 cues and counting, most of which he pulled out of the air, you might own a GSD. When he alerts at every single breach or near breach of the perimeter, you might own a GSD. When he reluctantly ceases alerting and settles at your request, but gets up and positions himself between you and the source of the ‘threat’, you might own a GSD. When he responds to every single casual “Good boy” by running and getting his ball, and dropping it hopefully in your lap or at your feet, you might own a GSD.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You might own a GSD when he surfs the dinner table ignores the food and takes a knapkin and offers it as trade for a bit of food. Yup my guy did it a few nights ago with such a look of hopeful innocence.
LOL this is so cute and so very GSD! 0:)

·
Registered
311 Posts
If while vacuuming up the sad remains of a shredded dog toy, and he very carefully picks up stray boofs with his lips to come deposit them in front of the vacuum head, you might have a GSD.

·
Registered
7,220 Posts
When ever you have a conscious decision for a family member not to leave food unattended. My boy is a horrible table/counter surfer when backs are turned. Or if the ball is left out the furniture will be rearranged. Max seems to enjoy way to much dropping the ball to see if he is fast enough to catch before it rolls under the couch and to see if he can get it behind the couch- argh!!!

When buying those big packages of tape lint roll ons at Costco are necessary and think why oh why did I ever not come up with this invention.

When you find your self scratching the chest of a snuggly gsd in the middle of the night. Luna the other night was giving me a love attack in the middle of the night.

When they remind you that they will make you feel safe if anything ever went bump in the night. Last week on a early morning, I had to have some work done to my basement. I had opened the outside seperate basement door entrance so the workers can get inside the basement. The workers know I have dogs- so they know to let me know when they are on their way so the yard is clear and safe to enter in the gate. The worker had a question and walked up the basement stairs and stopped at the door before my kitchen - which has a small cat door- and called my name. Max ran over as he heard the worker head up the basement stairs and try to fit his body through the cat door and not in a friendly way all being quiet as a mouse. I told max it was alright and even though Max was on high alert he still backed up and simmered down. He was doing his job as he believed an intruder was in the house and did his job well. He had a great run after that to let all his toxins out lol!

When you get reminded that packages need to be brought in. Max will always alert if there packages at the front door! Lol he will stand by the front door where there is a a panel of glazed glass and stare and then look at me and back at the door. I know every time there is a box out there lol!

When they make you feel good. They do make everything fun and brighten up the happiest or saddest of days. They are always entertaining myself and my kids with their gsd antics!

https://instagram.com/p/BrfyGBjD-hH/
Max Von stephanitz gets credit for “creating” the German Shepherd, however some people speculate that “3M” may have had more to do with it.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When you have been cleaning all day and finally sit down to eat and see what's happening on your favorite forum and he sits and stares intently at you....just waiting for the eye contact....and when he gets it he does his best "Timmy fell in the well" routine to get you to follow him....then he leads you to the shelf where the chuckit is.

We did work on a lot of long downs while vacuuming. He is good with it as long as he can see me :smile2:

·
Registered
212 Posts
So true and funny! A great idea with noodles!
Love all these! I also agree the pool noodle idea is genius! (too bad our dogs are too ha!)

When it's his sister's turn to go out and he sasses me while obeying the sit and wait command.

When he checks behind the shower curtain EVERY TIME I have to go pee to be sure there is no bad guy in the tub.
When I was a kid I always checked behind the shower curtain too! :D

·
Registered
7,220 Posts
The front of our sofa and love seat were the common entry point for those "accidental" mishaps of Remi's ball dissapearing and needing rescue. I blocked the front of both and he quickly learned the sides were still open to continue the game. In an effort to salvage my morning coffee break I placed a couple short pieces of 4 x 4 left over from a fence job on the sides of the sofa/love seat. Problem solved? Nope, before I could sit down he found the only 4" inch opening left and I caught him pushing his ball through with his paw. Definitely a ruse.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts