German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
I know lots of people who do their own vaccinations, esp breeders and farmers who are already vaccinating their livestock. Most states, however, it is still required that rabies vaccine be administered by a vet

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
Yes, you can vaccinate your cats too. You can purchase feline vaccines from the same companies that sell dog vaccines, horse vaccines, livestock vaccines, etc..

It's not about dosage. You don't use dog vaccines on cats and dose them down. Cats are susceptible to different diseases than dogs, so need an entirely different type of vaccine.

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
And what worries me about this then is that you've got all these people giving their dogs UNNECESSARY vaccines.

And how many of these people are going to separate the vaccines? Give only the needed ones at the right time?

Except for folks that are breeding, or giving their own puppy shots because they want to use special vaccines (single disease vaccines that contain no mercury for example), I find this blog post dangerous, particularly in its promotion of a 7-way vaccine (see Jean Dodds protocol http://www.doglogic.com/vaccination.htm )

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
True, Lisa, when I saw the 7 way I went......EEEEK!
Totally unnecessary. So, you have brought up a valid point.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lisa, I commented on the post, expressing our views on the dangers of a 7 way vaccine (including Lepto! OMG!). Thanks for pointing this out.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
7...Wow!!! I can't imagine doing that.

I have done my own vaccinating (not 7 way!).... but it is in consultation with my vet, with a plan in mind for the particular animal and I even purchase from the vet.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And apparently my comment wasn't even approved for viewing.
Tossing around the word "idiot" to Lisa's reply was definitely maturity at it's finest. In the end, he doesn't even address our concerns. In America, bigger will always be better, and more is best.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Bouyant Dog, you mentioned Lepto. Do you not recommend that vaccine? if not, why? I do live on a lake (well, very, very close) and thought because of that we should vaccinate for it.

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
Bouyant Dog, I saw your comment there, in between the places where he is calling me an idiot

He has put two of my comments up, we'll see if he puts the third up.

What a tool.

JazzyGirl, the lepto vaccine seems to be a vaccine that has a higher rate of vaccine reactions. Also, there are many different forms of lepto, many not covered by the vaccines, though some lepto vaccines are more effective than others. It's also said that, being a bacterial vaccine, it needs to be given every 6 months to be effective. BUT, Indy's lyme vaccine was a bacterial vaccine and she reacted to it for years after, so I don't buy the last one. Btw, I know that this is not always true, but the dogs I've known that have had lepto, had been vaccinated for it, much like bordatella. Not like bordatella though is the seriousness of lepto.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Originally Posted By: JazzyGirlDoes that mean it's possible to vaccinate your own cat too?
Possible but not recommended. Cats have a higher rate of vaccine reactions than dogs and based on Schultz's studies it appears that they are protected for life after their initial set of shots. I know that my cat Cleo hasn't been vaccinated in more than 10 years and I had her titered for rabies and her results were sky high!

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Yikes! I just read that guys response to you Lisa.
I wonder if that's how he treats everyone who disagrees with him? Nice guy...

·
Registered
215 Posts
When you say "I had her titered for rabies and her results were sky high" does that mean she is immune to rabies?

How can you get around the law about vaccinating against rabies if they really don't need it?

Also are you suggesting that my cat may be immune to FIV due to repeated vaccines? I don't mind giving the vaccines but if they really aren't needed then what exactly is the point?

There is so much to try to learn, and I don't even know where to begin and am not even sure I have the where with all to attempt to find this stuff out. (I am in school and trying to memorize so much stuff about human anatomy at the moment - the ram space is quite full!)

ETA: Also Lisa, are you saying that although Lepto is serious, the vaccine is likely not worthwhile as Lepto is too varied to be covered with 1 vaccine?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts