German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone taken their dog to Yosemite. I am thinking of going this September. Since Ive only owned smaller dogs, Ive never taken them.
Has anyone gone with their dogs and what was your experience?

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Just outside of Tuolumne Meadows on the other side of the park (in the Eastern Sierras) are a TON of dog friendly places to go visit/stay...you could spend an entire summer in the Eastern Sierra doing dog friendly activities (Mammoth Lakes is just one of them, but there are many more closer to the parks East Entrance). There is so much to do with your dog, I could write a book on it and I don't even know the half of it. We actually just got back from camping in the Eastern Sierras yesterday - we go there several times a year from Spring-Fall. If we want to go to the park (Yosemite), we usually do a lot of stuff on the East Side and then just head down to the valley (Yosemite Valley) for the day and do basic tourist stuff (mostly just driving around and stopping at the scenic viewpoints).

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
No I have not, but I recently came upon an travel article that gives information on a place close by, Mammoth Lakes. Maybe this will offer another option of Yosemite not dog friendly.

Dog-friendly California destinations - SFGate
First, a side note - my friends dog is the Kelpie (Abbie) in that picture!!

Anyway, the article is ok, but please note that muzzles are only required on the shuttle to Devils Postpile (article is kinda misleading). There are two ways to get around this - go when the shuttle isn't running (not sure on the end date this year) or enter the Postpile BEFORE 7am and then you can drive in yourself! We have been known to enter at about 6:59am! Dogs also must be leashed in the Postpile. There are also a ton more things to do in Mammoth and the surrounding area besides what the article mentioned.

Unfortunately, a lot of the lakes around Mammoth are really low this year :( We can't hike too far with the pup yet, so we didn't get to explore a lot of our usual places, but a couple we saw, I wouldn't let the dogs swim in them this year. We did let them swim at Tioga Lake, which is just outside the park's East Entrance.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Wow it looks like they are only allowed on the paved path. thats no fun for hiking.

As for mammoth, unfortunately my timeshare is on the western side of Yosemite. I checked and its almost 6 hour drive to mammoth from there. :confused:

Those dogs are incredible by the way. Love the pic. thanks for posting it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts