German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to have someplace to talk about what we will be going through the next couple of months.

Just to give some background, this will be my females second litter. She is 4 1/2 now. Hips/elbows, CERF, Cardiac, DM all done. First litter produced some very nice pups. Two pups doing SchH, one with a security co. for detection work. The others are nice pets. The sire was local (my trainers dog), and they made a very nice match.

Now will be traveling to the stud this time around. He is in another state, 6 hrs away. We will have to spend at least one night in a hotel. Never done that before. I feed her a raw diet, so need to keep that on ice (cold) the whole time too. Need to time it right, so now I will be doing progesterone testing to know when she has ovulated. Had the brucellosis test done and that is neg. So now I sit and wait for her cycle to start.

This has been planned since the end of August. Her breeder is wanting two pups from this litter. Yoko's sister had been kept by the breeder to replace their mother (who is now retired). The sister passed away suddenly this past summer. Yoko's breeder and I worked together on picking a stud.

I am just very nervous about this litter, higher expectations and more planning, taking care of things than the first. After I know she is pregnant, its all down hill for me from there. Its just getting to that point that is nerve racking right now.

I am also trying to finish up some remodeling of the laundry room where the pups will stay. I actually dont have to have that done until the pups are 3 wks old and ready to move out of their swimming pool. So I sit at the computer and wait. LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay, so I noticed some dried blood on Yoko's vulva last night. So she has officially started her heat. Made an appt. for vets on Monday to check progesterone level.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So the receptionist called today regarding Mondays appt. Good thing SHE is on top of things. I have been in contact with them for a couple months, asking questions, figuring things out before they need to be done. Now I find out the blood has to clot and be spun before they can package it up to mail it. I am taking it to the post office because I cant get to the vets office until late in the day. Glad she called so I could get there early enough to have everything done and to the post office by 5pm. Oh and did I mention we only have one vehicle to drive now (we drive to work together but I have shorter hours and just wait). Other wise we just would have driven separate and no problem with the time. Starting to get stressed about this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, so the blood is in the mail to Cornell. Now I started thinking ahead to the rest of the week and which day we might draw blood again depending on todays results. Then I realized that Thursday is Veterans Day (post office closed). So now how is this gonna work? One more thing to stress about.

Did I mention we are down to one vehicle at the moment! So trying to shop for another too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So the progesterone blood level is at 1.46. Not very high yet. Will be drawing blood again on Thursday and FedEXing to Cornell (post office is closed). Will have results on Friday. And since we will be going into the weekend, I cant get testing done until Monday for Tuesday results. By then it could be too late URGH!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, new one for me. Yoko went from 1.46 on Monday to 1.13 on Thursday. WHAT??? She went backward??? The vet I spoke with at Cornell said that can happen if they are producing a lot of follicles. Stopped at the vet on Friday after work to check the epithelial cells. Not even close to cornification. So next appt. is for Monday to check progesterone again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So Yoko's progesterone level for yesterday was at 2.52. YIPPEEEE! We have been waiting for it to reach 2.0. Once it reaches that level, you breed 5 days later. So off to New Hampshire on Saturday morning. And just to make sure it is still going up, going to do another test tomorrow.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
21,368 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Diane for linking him. That is Oso. Will be going on Saturday, getting very excited. So we will have the Yoko/Oso litter of pups. LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Another progesterone update. Level for Wednesday was down from Monday to a 2.37. Still planning for a Saturday meet up, unless I hear back from the stud owner.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What made you decide to go with the pretty boy?
It was actually a decision that Yoko's breeder in Oklahoma and I made. We looked for 1 1/2 months for a male that had the bloodlines that would complement the lines in her breeding program. She is taking two pups out of this litter. I only have the one dog, so I wouldnt call that a breeding program yet.:)

I was very surprised with how many people stud out males that do not have OFA or PENN hips done. We had a check list on what we were looking for and health clearances was at the top of the list. So that ruled out several males.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well we are NOT going tomorrow. Yoko is not ready. She is certainly taking her time this heat cycle. If I didnt know better, I would think I have a different dog. She is not at all doing what she 'normally' has. This heat is so different. Must be because she knows we have to travel to the stud this time. LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Decided to get another progesterone level check for today. Her vulva is now starting to swell more, and bleeding a bit more too. So definitely getting closer. Probably going on Sun night and breed on Monday.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Progesterone level for Sat @ 2.57. Went to NH on Sunday, met up with Oso on Monday. He tried, she was NOT ready. Did an AI instead. Had blood drawn today, will know results tomorrow.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
21,368 Posts
hope it works! Did you like Oso??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, I like Oso. He is a solid built male. Dark pigmentation. Medium sized (like they should be). Only a couple inches bigger than Yoko I believe. Heavy bone. Not a super broad chest, but one that would allow for a dog to be more agile. I think his conformation is quite close to my females, but on the masculine side, like it should be. I do think they would produce pups with proper size, good confirmation, dark pigmentation, toy and food drive.

We 'might' take a trip back if it looks like we are too early in her cycle. But we just go day by day at this point.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yoko's progesterone level for yesterday was 3.33. So it is moving in the right direction now. I just dont know if it will move fast enough for the eggs to mature and still have living spermies in there. I did talk with her breeder and she mentioned that the two females she just bred, both were bred late in their cycles. Maybe it has something to do with the full moon. LOL

I dont know if I want to make the trip again this cycle. We will see.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well we are at day 25 of her cycle, and I believe she is finally in a standing heat. Drew blood yesterday for progesterone, wont have results til Monday afternoon. Plan is to go to NH again and try to breed tomorrow. Family that has Oso was out of town and wont be back until tomorrow (Sun) around noon.

Yoko did vomit this morning and did not want to eat right away. We went for our usual morning walk and I did coax her to eat after we got back. Dont know what was up with that.
 
1 - 20 of 105 Posts
Top