German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How worried should we be?

She got into the trash this morning, which is a first for her, and a whole cooked turkey wing disappeared (we took off the meat from it to stuff her kong).

How worried should we be? She definitely ate it, as we found a couple bone shards on the carpet.

Ugh...she eats raw turkey necks and chicken thighs with no issues, but I'm worried that it was a wing bone and cooked.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
keep an eye for any lethargy, bloody vomiting or bloody stools. if you see any of that, even a tiny bit of blood, vet immediately as there may be a possible perfuration. Also keep an eye on water intake as well. if that increases i would be a little concerned as well. Otherwise its very possible your dog will be okay.

·
Registered
6,699 Posts
I was told before by the vet to feed bread. it will be sticky "balls" in the stomach and gives any sharp pieces something to stick into.
Definitely couldn't hurt

·
Registered
551 Posts
Blitz once ate a whole cooked chicken wing out of the trash. I watched him over the next few days, he passed it without issue.

Just look out for the symptoms listed above.

·
Registered
391 Posts
oh yikes! My lab has eating a few cooked bones over the years, and every time I kick myself and then panic for 3 days. So far he's been fine. Never heard the bread idea but I'd try it.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
Chances are, he'll be fine. Just keep an eye on him. If he is still acting normal and eating well in a day or two, then all is well.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ugh, I am worried sick...we'll try feeding bread. Of course the only time she has ever knocked over the trash is the one time we have cooked bones in there.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Oh that silly Regen.

Miikka ate a cooked chicken breast once, bones and all. She was fine. Having said that, keep an eye on her but chances are she will be fine.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I watched my aunt feed her dogs cooked turkey bones this last thanksgiving. Many turkey bones. It's bad enough when they get them on accident. I was worried sick the whole day. But of course, "we've been feeding it to them for years and nothing has happened". UGH! But what can you do?! Not my dogs.
Anyway, I'm sure she will be ok. At least you know its not good for her and will be watching her.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Any updates? How is Regen doing so far?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
She seems fine...she's been sleeping most of the day, but that's pretty normal after excitement and exercise. She doesn't mind us rubbing her belly. She hasn't had to go out all day, though...

·
Registered
819 Posts
She seems fine...she's been sleeping most of the day, but that's pretty normal after excitement and exercise. She doesn't mind us rubbing her belly. She hasn't had to go out all day, though...

How is Regen doing today? Has she passed anything? :crazy:

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
She seems to be totally fine...was playful yesterday, she did strain a bit when she went to the bathroom before bed, but that is normal when she has had bone. Poops were solid...maybe she is okay?
I know one thing, though...she'll be alone for 2 hours tonight and I will be putting the trash can in the garage!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts