German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For various reasons, I have already made the decision to get a prong collar and have chosen the gauge and tried on a couple at the local pet store to see which one Hudson responds to best. I have read all of the questions about prongs but have yet to see my particular question addressed.

My question is: what is the difference between the stainless steel, chrome-plated steel and curogan and how do I decide which type of metal to get. Hudson is a 90lb (with a projected adult weight of 130lbs) and is 11-months-old. He is NOT a water dog and won't have this collar on unless we are actively training.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I would go with the stainless steel or the curogan. The chrome plated will flake over time and leave you with slivers, not pleasant. Otherwise the choice is yours as to which you like the looks of best on your dog.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for answering, Marsha.

So the only problem is the flaking? Because for the price difference (right now) between chrome and stainless, I think the chrome would be better given my student status. I guess I was worried about any possible differences in strength, but they are both steel...one is just plated and the other is not.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Are you comparing different brands, or just different finishes? The reason I ask is because some of the prong collars are quite cheaply made, and they have very sharp ends rather than the blunted tips. Not good.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Blanketback,
I am conparing finishes only. For a few dollars more than the price of the pet store ones, I can get a Herm Sprenger, so would rather do that. However, as my dog is quite large, I guess I am looking for reassurance that the chrome-plated steel will hold up to his strength just as well as the stainless steel. I tried the pet store brand (2.25 and 3.0 gauge) and it felt a little flimsy and moved a lot. He definitely responded better to the 2.25 and since my issue isn't with him tugging/dragging me during walks feel that should accomplish the task.

One of his issues is fear that strangers that look or approach him single-mindedly are coming to take him away. He's gotten a lot better but I feel we need something to get over the hump. As I was his 3rd home by the time he was 4 months he's always been a little anxious. During our pet store trial, I noticed an unanticipated side effect of his wearing the prong: he was less "on guard" and seemed to settle into himself more than I have ever seen him in public. Also, after I took the prong off and we went about the rest of our day, the calmness remained for several hours. It was like he finally believed that I havr the situation in hand. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Get the herm sprenger if you can afford it. You can always add links as he grows and it will last forever. I got a curogan (fur saver) and didn't like it btw. It tarnished/discolored.

Proper use of the prong was of great help to me and my dogs.

The calmness was probably due to you feeling more in control which in turn made your dog feel more secure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts