German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Melody DOB 5-5-21, Maizey 11-3-09 to 3-10-19
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi. Sorry to be another person posting to ask about pedigrees, but ...

This question actually relates to our prior GSD so no real questions at all about health, hips, elbows, etc. seeing as how she's no longer with us. Just more idle curiosity as it is something that I was always wondering about. Coming up now because I finally got around to registering our current GSD and that let to poking around and going down memory lane. Certain that our breeder was a BYB last time around. We got her for $300 and we were told it was an "unplanned" litter, which I always found a little odd. I don't know if she was WL or SL, but certainly assume she was SL. She had a really great, gentle temperament, moderate drive, great with dogs and people, a bit leash reactive with unknown dogs who were giving off a dominant vibe, but that's really the only complaint (that and her chronic digestive issues from EPI). Anyway...

The dam's info is here: Princess Zaida Valda Von Klar

It would appear the dam was 10 months old when she gave birth and must have been bred basically in the first heat, then, if I understand correctly. If this were a professional breeder, I imagine that is something they wouldn't do. I have no reason to know/think that, but just strikes me as you'd want your breeding female to get a little older. If for no physical reason, then just to know more about how the dog develops behavioral, etc? Tell me if I'm off-base there.

It looks like there are two dogs in our old girl's maternal lineage with some type of title or rating, but otherwise nothing jumps out to my untrained eye.

The sire's info is here: Lo Ghan San Von Der Haus Chi

Appears to me that there are some titles on this side, which is interesting. The breeder had told me that a lot of the dogs in her lineage were police dogs so maybe the sire's side contributed to that (if true in any case, which, who knows). Looks like paternal grandfather for our dog (Wildmarkens Tito) had a full write-up.

But here's something interesting, I guess. On the sire's maternal side, if I'm reading this correctly, our dog's great grandfather was 2x USA DPO champion and great grandfather was 3x DDR Sieger European Champion. What??? Would love some insight if these mean anything to anyone. I would assume so-called "champion" dogs are used for plenty of breeding so maybe it's not that much of a surprise to find that 3 and 4 generations back?

I tried to do enough research to kick it off and hopefully make it easier to share input. Grateful for thoughts from folks who don't mind taking a few minutes to offer them as I try to satisfy a little idle curiosity from strolling down memory lane - thank you!

ps-edited to add a pair of photos in case you’re interested :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,525 Posts
the male is a Euro show line sire crossed on a DDR (East German) dam......I started off in the late 90's with an Alk daughter ....and yes, he was twice DPO Champion in the USCA Nationals, and placed 7th in the DPO championship in Germany as well. His sire, Lord, is a very very very famous dog and Kyra was linebred 2-5,5 on Lord - and IMO, he is the source of all the positive traits coming down from her. Pretty much all my current dogs have that Alk female in their background.....Kyra brought great tracking ability and super good heads to my program, even though I only bred her one time. Her daughter Csabre was everything I ever wanted in a GSD, I still have her son, Komet, great granddaughter Lucca and great greatgrandson Tiger.....

The dam has a pretty vague pedigree.....in the 4th/5th generation, her topside -father - has both Euro working and show lines. Her dam/mother has a couple Euro show lines behind the sire. Lots of the pedigree forward is unrecognizable - ie not recognizable kennels or dogs. She definitely shows European showlines with that nice rich red color!!!!\\

Lee

Reactions: Bknmaizey

·
Registered
Eska von den Roten Vorbergen
4,173 Posts
Yes, it is definitely not good breeding practise to breed a female that young! If it was deliberate, shame on the breeder. However, oops litters DO happen, even with breeders that have the best intentions!

One of my dogs was the result of her mother escaping her kennel and climbing an 8 ft. chain link fence to get in with the stud! :rolleyes: Her breeder said he thought she must be related to Harry Houdini!

Her daughter pulled off some pretty good escape artist tricks, too, during her life with me! Fortunately, she never learned how to climb chain link fences, though!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I can see that happening. Especially having observed how motivated our current GSD was to get with other dogs when she had her first heat (and how motivated they were to get with her, too)!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi. Sorry to be another person posting to ask about pedigrees, but ...

This question actually relates to our prior GSD so no real questions at all about health, hips, elbows, etc. seeing as how she's no longer with us. Just more idle curiosity as it is something that I was always wondering about. Coming up now because I finally got around to registering our current GSD and that let to poking around and going down memory lane. Certain that our breeder was a BYB last time around. We got her for $300 and we were told it was an "unplanned" litter, which I always found a little odd. I don't know if she was WL or SL, but certainly assume she was SL. She had a really great, gentle temperament, moderate drive, great with dogs and people, a bit leash reactive with unknown dogs who were giving off a dominant vibe, but that's really the only complaint (that and her chronic digestive issues from EPI). Anyway...

The dam's info is here: Princess Zaida Valda Von Klar

It would appear the dam was 10 months old when she gave birth and must have been bred basically in the first heat, then, if I understand correctly. If this were a professional breeder, I imagine that is something they wouldn't do. I have no reason to know/think that, but just strikes me as you'd want your breeding female to get a little older. If for no physical reason, then just to know more about how the dog develops behavioral, etc? Tell me if I'm off-base there.

It looks like there are two dogs in our old girl's maternal lineage with some type of title or rating, but otherwise nothing jumps out to my untrained eye.

The sire's info is here: Lo Ghan San Von Der Haus Chi

Appears to me that there are some titles on this side, which is interesting. The breeder had told me that a lot of the dogs in her lineage were police dogs so maybe the sire's side contributed to that (if true in any case, which, who knows). Looks like paternal grandfather for our dog (Wildmarkens Tito) had a full write-up.

But here's something interesting, I guess. On the sire's maternal side, if I'm reading this correctly, our dog's great grandfather was 2x USA DPO champion and great grandfather was 3x DDR Sieger European Champion. What??? Would love some insight if these mean anything to anyone. I would assume so-called "champion" dogs are used for plenty of breeding so maybe it's not that much of a surprise to find that 3 and 4 generations back?

I tried to do enough research to kick it off and hopefully make it easier to share input. Grateful for thoughts from folks who don't mind taking a few minutes to offer them as I try to satisfy a little idle curiosity from strolling down memory lane - thank you!

ps-edited to add a pair of photos in case you’re interested :)
The red 😍

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She was a beauty, that photo with her laying the grass really captured the red for sure. Definitely sent me searching for another black and red once I was ready to find another one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts