German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As of last week, I've noticed that when it rains outside Emma does not want to go do her potty business outside and just last night she went potty # 2 on my floors (I was not happy)...How do I help her get over this? I took her to her mess and told her no, and she was being bad...But how do I get it through her head without being mean to her? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
979 Posts
Maybe take an umbrella and go out with her? She might be more willing to head outside in the rain if you are going that way too. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks....That would work, but she doesn't have a problem with the rain coming down, it's after the rain has fallen and the grass is wet...she doesn't like for her feet to get wet.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Do you go out in the rain with her? If not then you need to. I would also put pooping on command. When I take Rafi out I tell him to go poop and I stand out there with him until he goes. I give him a command to go and then after he goes I praise him and usually reward him by tossing his toy.

Please don't show her the poop and yell at her. That doesn't help at all. In fact it can be very confusing to a dog and cause them to be afraid of you (as in: why is that crazy person yelling at me?).

Edited to add: I just read your clarification about the wet grass. Same thing though--go out with her. Take her for a walk when the grass is wet, play in the wet grass, give her treats in the wet grass! Make it fun, fun, fun. Pretty soon she'll never even notice.

·
Registered
979 Posts
That is funny! Dogs are just like people aren't they? Hopefully, someone with a lot more experience will help you out. There has to be another dog somewhere that doesn't like to get her feet wet either.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I have to agree with everyone when they say get an umbrella (for yourself) and go out with her. Put her on a leash and out you go ... the bottom line is she doesn't have a choice. She has to potty outside.

Ava doesn't like getting her feet wet either. But, after I took her out on a leash and was patient with her she is now fine with it. She will run out and do her business and come right back in.

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
such great suggestions, please be patient and never mean.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
How smart is everyone on this site!!!!>????

I say the same thing as the rest of them! If you get all excited when it rains and go out in the yard............ and you bring her favorite toy and then also PLAY outside with her in the rain......... then she will LOVE the rain!

Heck, my dogs tear thru puddles and blizzards/typhoons don't seem to faze them.... (will say those upright ears do cause alot of headshaking cause they seem to collect the rain
) but because I've made thunder/storms/rain/whatever just as much fun as every other trip into the yard, they charge out like a sunny day!

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Mya is the same way! lol i thought she was the only dog that wouldnt walk in the grass because she didnt like getting her feet wet! i thought it was just a personality flaw she made herself! What seems to help the most is going outside with her. Its annoying especially when its cold and rainy, but better to be cold for a few minutes then having to clean up potty messes in the house! I still have to go out with her if its raining, or if it just rained and everything is wet, otherwise she will stand on the covered porch and just look around and wait for me to open the door to let her in!

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
Unless you can catch them in the ACT of going to the bathroom in the house, punishing them is not only NOT going to help it may make things worse.

Dogs don't generalize. If you take them to a pile of poop and reprimand them they think it's bad to have a pile of poop in the house - not MAKE a pile of poop in the house. And that may cause the dog to become a poop eater - hide the reason for the reprimand.

If they have an accident in the house clean it VERY well and next time keep a closer eye on them.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Even catching them in the act punishment really doesn't work - more like a quick scoop up the dog and march outdoors.

So maybe she has a sensitivity to wet grass on dog paws? You could try boots (those ARE fun! I've got stories about boots...) or maybe walking her on the pavement.

My two developed an aversion to rain when they developed mange (misdiagnosed as allergies for wayyyyy tooo long) and I think the moisture hurt their skin.

This thread brings to mind the old story that has the dog complaining: "cat toilet is inside, human toilet is inside, bird toilet is inside -- and I have to go outside???" Who knows, maybe she thinks that since everyone else defecates inside it is only fair for the dog to be allowed.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh no, I've made myself sound as though I'm mean to her, and I'm not, really, and probably should not have even reminded her of what she did, but over the last few days I've been going outside with her and so far NO accidents in the house...Yay, what a relief...I relly hated picking up the poo in the house and that smell, OMG!!!

Thanks for the suggestions, they work!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts