German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got this little boy thinking he is a Black & Tan (Pics from late Nov)

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=517651&thumb=1

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=517653&thumb=1

But then parts of his coat starte showing dual colors for the same hair strands (pics over the last two weeks - Note the tail color in the last pic)

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=517655&thumb=1

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=517657&thumb=1

The sables I have seen have very different pigmentation and while this fella still looks more of black & tan but I haven't seen a black/tan with dual colors on the same strands (which I understand is more of a sable trait)

PS: I love this fella and the color does not matter - I am just curious about his unusual coloration

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
Can't help with the color question but cute pup for sure! He looks so adorable.

Is it safe for him to play with that tractor? My Marley would have chewed that thing into a pile of scrap. That metal axle really concerns me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can't help with the color question but cute pup for sure! He looks so adorable.

Is it safe for him to play with that tractor? My Marley would have chewed that thing into a pile of scrap. That metal axle really concerns me.
Thanks!
I wish I could take that away from him - It somehow ended up becoming his favorite toy and he just doesn't want to let go of it and I don't have the heart to take it away - Used to keep play time supervised earlier although he is a little bigger now so I let him be .

PS: Just read up about Marley - So sorry to hear about your loss.
I lost my boy Donnie at 3.5 years to a cancer and all I can say is that while it is a long uphill journey, it eventually gets better
What finally took away my grief though is getting Loki (this boy) a year later

·
Registered
123 Posts
Thank you, I appreciate it. I give you credit though as no way could I wait a year. I'll get another, just not sure when. I'll know when it's time.

Just keep an eye on him. If he's had the toy for awhile and hasn't devoured it yet:) you'll probably be fine. I know what it's like when they have a favorite toy and you try and take it away.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Adorable B&T is my vote. My dog likes plastic toys too. He doesn't chew bits off them but I still don't leave the house while he is snuggled with one lol He particularly likes to carry around my son's plastic toy Dyson vacuum lol

·
Registered
856 Posts
Cute puppy! He looks black and tan to me, but it is possible he is a patterned sable. Did you meet, or know anything about his parents? In order to be sable, one of his parents would have had to be sable.

In GSDs, sable is the dominant color gene. So if a dog carries the sable gene, it will always be expressed. You will never get sable puppies from 2 GSDs of any other color (black and tan, bi-color, or black).

·
Registered
513 Posts
I'm still guessing black and tan. They go through coat changes, so you may be seeing a "middle stage" so to speak. I'm guessing the black with continue to be replaced with tan for a few more months/years.

Reactions: CometDog

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Black and tan.. And an adorable boy! I'm sorry for your loss, the pain and emptiness can be unbelievable... But having this cutie to help ease and transition should help

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Black Tan is what I would have thought too but for the fact that a lot (not all) of the hair are banded , especially where there are light shades in the middle of the black.
The father is a sable so technically it is possible for him to be a sable .
For the most part though, he is B&T except for pockets of banded hair (like the lower part of the tail)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts