German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So our dog has 2 types of allergies.

He has environmental allergies that manifest themselves with itchy paws. This happens in the spring / summer months

And then there are food allergies that manifest themselves with hot spots, and yeast infections in the ears.

He's done well on a grain-free diet although and although we never did the tests we used process of elimination to take out the likely suspects: chicken, grains, etc. He does well on beef, lamb, venison, fish, etc.

And he gets 50mg hydroxizyne (?) twice a day.

Wondering if I can get some recommendations to reduce allergies especially itchy paws? He doesn't have hot spots anymore, and his ears are clean, but the paws thing is becoming a problem...

Any advice regarding supplements / diet / cleaning / products will be much appreciated!

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Rusty has environmental allergies, specifically in the Fall. As soon as the leaves start to fall it's like clock work with the itching. Two seasons ago he was a mess from itching and dealt with some secondary bacterial infections from the itching. Fall is over, ground starts to freeze the hellish season for him is over.

Last Fall I started giving him raw local honey from a gem of a farm right by my house. One tablespoon everyday, by day 11 he no longer needed Benadryl and we survived the season. To be honest I was shocked it worked so well. The owner of the farm said she has a lot of customers that buy her honey for their own allergies, she never heard it working for a dog. I was pleased to report my results to her. **fingers crossed it works again this year*

Of course the honey will not work for any food allergies. Some people have tried it and said it did absolutely nothing to help.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
It has to be local to your area, within 50 miles. Must also be raw.

I would check with local farmers in your area. Not sure if even a health food store would carry local honey, it maybe be raw but brought in from another state which is not going to help.

Do a raw honey search on this board some past threads will come up. I have shared many PM's with Michele (Jax08) on this very topic:)

·
Registered
31,776 Posts
Try the honey. :) You have nothing to lose by doing so.

Same story for Jax as Courtney's. I only give 1 tsp per day. Within a few days, no more itching. When I took her off it, reoccurred in a couple of days.

My local beekeeper harvests in the spring and fall. Beginning about this time, you want to start the fall honey. Unless they only harvest once per year. So make sure to ask that question.

I was also told by a beekeeper that we could use any honey along the northeast...but she was trying to sell me her honey! LOL I don't know if she's right or not but I'll stick with the one that is close.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's a good article.

Local Honey for Seasonal Allergies

You also want the honey to be harvested in the season that brings you grief.
That is super interesting! and makes sense... now I just have to a find a farmer in NYC! :) Nah, there is a whole foods around here they might carry locally grown honey. hmmm There are also farmer's markets in union square so maybe a NJ farmer... ok I will check it out! Thanks again

1 - 7 of 7 Posts