German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since having my little pup I have socialized her as much as possible with people and other dogs. She walks every night off leash with a group of 6 dogs as well as meeting new dogs every night too and has been fantastic. But tonight another dog came running over very excited and just went to smell her and jumping around my pup sounded as though she was being killed. It was the most blood curling noises I have ever heard. It was really out of character she has never done this before and had even met and played with the dog before. She ran behind my legs the owner came and put their dog on the lead. Another dog ran off after hearing the sounds. Why do you think she did this what should I do in future as the dog had done nothing but go smell her?

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Wow thanks for the quick reply and links they are very informative. In those links it mentions that any negative experience at this age (12 weeks) will have a long lasting impression. How do I make sure this doesn't scar her or how to overcome this negative experience? I was aware to not try and comfort her reinforce that its ok to be scared from a dog just sniffing her. All I did was stand in-between the two dogs and keep the other dog away. Was this the right thing to do?

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
It was the right thing to do not to make a big deal out of it since she wasn't being hurt. I agree that puppy classes are a fabulous tool

1 - 4 of 4 Posts