German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WD was stung multiple times today and kept rolling over. I noticed a yellow jacket stuck in his fur on his leg that kept stinging him. Posted this for all to be aware of these little monsters and too carefully examine the fur to make sure they are gone.
WD's nose looks like a moose's; big bump on the end from another sting.
Also keep an eye on possible allergic reactions like strong swelling within an hour of the sting.
Benedryl helps. My vet told me to use it with another dog whose face swelled up badly after a sting. The swelling went down fast after the meds.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Yikes...I hate those little suckers...and they can just keep on stinging..My oldest daughter has to carry an Epi-pen with her at all times...I never thought about them getting the dogs...Yet another thing in life to fret about...

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
I think my dogs are nuts. They seem to enjoy chasing them around snapping at them. A quick bite and just as quickly spit them out and yes, sometimes they do get stung. This only makes them more determined though. Luckily no allergic reactions, just the same I take them indoors if I catch them doing it.

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
Homeopathic’s for stings and bites: Apis followed by Ledum. There is also a cream called “Nelson’s Cuts & Scrapes” made from a combination of Calendula (Marigold Flower) and Hypericum (St. John’s Wart) that is for the pain of the sting and helps resist infection and promotes healing (good for hot spots too). Our dogs got into a ground nest of yellow jackets at a rest stop on our way to vacation years ago. Noses swelled up like a balloons and then went into pus sores. Really thankful I had my homeopathic kit with me!
Good for dogs AND humans! ;)

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Homeopathic’s for stings and bites: Apis followed by Ledum. There is also a cream called “Nelson’s Cuts & Scrapes” made from a combination of Calendula (Marigold Flower) and Hypericum (St. John’s Wart) that is for the pain of the sting and helps resist infection and promotes healing (good for hot spots too). Our dogs got into a ground nest of yellow jackets at a rest stop on our way to vacation years ago. Noses swelled up like a balloons and then went into pus sores. Really thankful I had my homeopathic kit with me!
Good for dogs AND humans! ;)
Thanks for this info...I'll make sure I have these items on hand...:)

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Ouch, poor boy!

A coworker was camping with his family and his dog ran over a nest in the ground. They were stinging him everywhere, a swarm. They had some liquid Benadryl they brought for their young boys in a first aid kit. As they were rushing the dog to the ER vet they forced the liquid meds down his throat. Vet said that quick thinking saved their dog. I know the liquid form is not recommended for general use but when crap hits the fan can be a life saver.

Glad your boy is ok:)

·
Registered
10,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have found a great way to get rid of underground wasps nests. Maybe I have reinvented the wheel but here it goes. First you locate it by observing wasp activity and where they go, then wait until dusk when all the wasps have returned to their nests. There is always a guard sitting a few inches into the hole so you have to be prepared and act fast before he mobilizes his army. Then I put a quart wide mouth canning jar over the hole and push it an inch into the soil to prevent the wasps from digging under. They will always head for the light in the morning so they stay focused on the top of the jar. It kills the nest within a week. I did this last year three times and it worked every time. Make sure your nosy dogs are protected from investigating this new "toy". I prefer this method over poison to protect wild life and digging pets.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
when i was a kid my father would pour gasoline into the nest. no need to light, gas kills without fire. now that we are all much more green, i have used a 50/50 solution of dish detergent an pour that down into the nest. can also be mixed a little thiner an and used as bee spray. guy i work with is a bee keeper and hase some jugs an stuff, and relocates bees.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts