German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GSD is killing my grass. I have huge yellow/brown spots all over the yard. During the winter when the snow was high, there was this one spot he was peeing in....it's dead now.

Anybody got any suggestions?

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
the grass I have is the same way
I try to get them to go way down back near the woods
but sometimes I have better chance of falling on my butt then it happening

·
Registered
213 Posts
there are actually pills you can give your dog to stop this can't remembe what it's called tho. Also have heard of putting baking soda on the spot right after they pee or getting the dog to drink water with lemon juice in it ( sounds unlikely tho)

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
what about rinsing it down with water after???

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've heard of the tablets but I wasn't sure if it would be a good idea to give them to him. Don't know if it would be good for him. Anybody else try any with good success?

I've washed the area with water after he pees...but nothing.

I've also heard that a little ketchup would help battle the amoninia in his pee but ??????????

He's a male that's almost 1yr. He still squats.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
If you want to have a lawn, you'll need to train the dog to pee in one spot that is out of the way, and you're willing to sacrifice to pee. Cover that spot with gravel or mulch. In the battle between dog pee and grass, dog pee will always win.

It's not hard to teach the dog to pee in just one spot. Take him there on a leash until it becomes habit. Dogs like to pee in the same spot over and over (as you've seen)...so just make it a spot that you've picked for him.

Putting something in his water to change his body chemistry can't be a good idea. And feeding ketchup won't do anything.

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
What Tracy said and praise him silly for it. I've got some pee resistant invasive switch grass with blue flowers, crab grass and rhizome clover that I'd be willing to sell,
if it's green, I mow it often and call it grass!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts