German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been discussed many times, but I feel as though I have done everything I can think of to help this, but it still keeps reoccurring!

Male GSD, Shadow, is 18 months old. Has been suffering from yeast infections since day one. After ear medications weren't working, I went to a full grain free diet, the infections still continued. He has been on a RAW diet since last October and they are still continuing! His ears have been good for awhile, but now it is all four of his paws. Bright red between his toes and he is constantly chewing on them. So many people told me RAW was the only way to go to get rid of them, but it doesn't seem to be helping!

I was putting ACV in his water everyday and I guess I need to get back to that.

His RAW diet consists of chicken, pork, venison and salmon. All his treats are grain free.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
Externally for ears Zymox. Or multi-tasking Vetericyn which you can use in the ears and skin. Shampoo with fortified Selsun Blue anti-dandruff (which is fungal) , or with Mane N Tail Protect which is anti fungal , anti microbial.

Internally , probiotics to displace the undesirable bacteria with beneficial .

Dedicated solutions -- olive leaf powder . MSM .

·
Registered
482 Posts
Hey may be allergic to any one of the meats you are feeding him. Add plain yogurt to his food and take away one meat at a time for at least 2 weeks. If he starts to improve you found the culprit if he does not then put that meat back into the mix and remove another for two weeks. Sounds like a form of an allergy to me IMO

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
Yogurt is a weak source for probiotics . Better than nothing though.

some oregano herb and coconut oil are great additions to the olive leaf and MSM .

When you start detoxing for yeast infections do it slowly as too much of a punch and too much die-off will make the dog seem worse .

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I had trouble with Raina getting yeast infections due to scratching and found out she had multiple allergies causing her to itch. Once I cut out all the grain and duck, lamb, pork, and turkey (her allergens) along with all the other stuff she was allergic to it really helped with the itching. I also bathe her every other weekend with Alermyl and use Keti Chlor by Virbac on any spots I find. I had previously tried Selsum Blue but didn't get good enough results to make me happy. The Keti Chlor was a life saver. It's a leave on antiseptic from the vet. Once I started using that on her spots I got it all under control so taking away the allergens could work. Now she is itch free except for some airborne stuff I can't avoid. I use benedryl occasionally for that but hate to give it to her often.

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
I would consider SLOWLY adding organic, unrefined coconut oil to the diet. SLOWLY working up to as much as 1 tsp. per 10 lbs. The medium-chain fatty acids in coconut oil are reported to be very good in helping to combat systemic yeast infections, and it has other benefits. Dogs seem to love the taste, too.

Here are some links about it:
Ten Reasons to Add Coconut Oil to Your Dog's Diet | Dogster
Benefits of Coconut Oil for Dogs | Petside
Nature’s Candida Cure: Coconut Oil Solves Yeast Problems

1 - 9 of 9 Posts