German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO I know I've posted about 5 million things since I got my pup last summer about various issues she's been having. I really appreciate all the replies and insights!

Basically, here's whats been going down. Kora is now 11 months old and weighs 80 lbs. She has had chronic loose stool pretty consistently since we brought her home at 8 weeks old. We started her on Chicken Soup for the Soul, and then switched to Fromm Gold. After having 2 anal gland infections, the vet recommended we switch her form Fromm to something with more fiber. So she's been on Wellness Super5Mix with added canned pumpkin for the past few months. She's been doing just fine on Wellness since about a month ago - no anal gland issues at all! I know that shepherds tend to have ear issues, so I had been cleaning her ears every week or so. However, about a month ago she started to really scratch at her ears and cry a lot when we cleaned them (she's kind of a crybaby anyway though). Long story short, finally took her to the vet last week and they said she had a yeast infection. Gave me Remicin and told me to clean her ears twice a day.

She's due back at the vet for a check up tomorrow. I definitely notice that her ears are much better. BUT! My fiance's parents actually have two of Kora's littermates (Bruce and Marley). Marley has been having ear issues for a while, and just recently she has been having more ear issues as well as a hotspot on her back paw, which has happened before. The last time that happened, the vet said it was yeast related, gave her an antibiotic and antifungal cream and sent her off. Additionally, Kora had a "hotspot" on her face that they gave us a steroid for. I think it was probably fungal as well, but I don't recall if they ever confirmed thats what it was. So we were talking this evening and started doing a little research. I didn't even realize that food can be such a factor in yeast infections. Like I said before, Kora is on Wellness. Marley is on Blue Buffalo. It's clear to us that our dogs are sensitive to some things (or maybe just typical GSDs - idk ;)) anyway, here are my questions:

Would a grain-free diet be a possible good choice for Kora to help with both the anal gland issues and the yeast infections? My concern with grain-free is that there would not be enough fiber (but I can supplement with pumpkin) and then the anal gland issues may start up again (if fiber is even the issue, idk).

Anybody have any other ideas about the loose stool? She's been doing pretty well with the pumpkin. We tried a probiotic, all the dewormers, etc.

One source I found said that all sugar/carbohydrates can lead to yeast infections, including potatoes and rice. Has anyone found this to be true? Are there any food without potatoes and rice even??

Any recommendations for specific brands are welcome and appreciated :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
One source I found said that all sugar/carbohydrates can lead to yeast infections, including potatoes and rice. Has anyone found this to be true? Are there any food without potatoes and rice even??

Any recommendations for specific brands are welcome and appreciated :)

Thanks!
My shepherd mix gets terrible yeast infections in between the pads of his feet. So bad he won't even walk on them or he limps. We changed him to a grain free diet and give him a foot bath 2 to 3 times a week and they are getting better.

The medicine the vet gave us didn't really work. My vet office has several vets working in it and this guy was new I think. Anyway, I talked to my regular vet about it and he said it is allergy related and what we are doing is good.

The food we have him on is grain free blue buffalo wilderness.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I know Lara had 2 yeast infections (one in each ear) that we treated with antibiotic and once she was converted to totally grain free they never came back again. That's just what happened here :O

1 - 3 of 3 Posts