German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Here is my buddy Rego. He is 5 months old and I am in love! I think he looks great weight wise, my wife thinks he’s too skinny. Last formal weight I got was at vet some time in April, 42#. I’m guessing he’s probably gained some weight since then, but I don’t think he’s 50# yet. Here’s some pics. What do you guys think?

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Best advice I ever got regarding shepherds and weight.

Thin for the win.

You’re going to have a large dog. Regardless of testing and guarantee you can mess your dog up if you over feed over work or half dozen other things.

When your dogs is moving you should just be able to make out the ribs. At rest everything should be nice and smooth.

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
I see ribs, hip bones, ... but I don't see any musculature. Puppies need nutrition to grow properly and some healthy weight to fight off diseases. I vote for too thin.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I see ribs, hip bones, ... but I don't see any musculature. Puppies need nutrition to grow properly and some healthy weight to fight off diseases. I vote for too thin.
I think I may start back to feeding 3x per day. I am doing two now. Possibly a trip to the vet to be sure. He’s on partial raw diet, but gets good quality Fromm kibble. He eats apples or bananas with yogurt and the Fromm kibble for breakfast, Raw with kibble for dinner. Not a lack of food for this guy. He checks negative for any type of parasites. Thanks for the responses.

J

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
It can be difficult to keep a good weight on active puppies. I think he could use just a little bit more weight on him. He doesn’t look unhealthy, but he may be just a hair too thin. I wouldn’t stress too much about it... just add a little food to each meal, or a third meal if he does better with that. That should get him right where he needs to be.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I don't really know if he is too thin - so I'll let more experienced people answer that. Here is my guy for comparison - Rollo is also 5 months. I do still feed him 3x a day. He is around 60 lbs.
I'm sure your guy will be fine and fill out tho!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,228 Posts
Rollo looks to be different lines and very different in body structure (more substantial imo), I would be cautious using him for comparison, despite being the same age.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Rollo looks to be different lines and very different in body structure (more substantial imo), I would be cautious using him for comparison, despite being the same age.
I appreciate the knowledge Fodder! It is so hard for me to tell differences like you pointed out when I'm looking at two different dogs unless its an extreme lol.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
He looks rather thin to me. But at 5 months, I wouldn't worry. My boy was only 45lb at 6 months, but between 6 to 7 months, he gained 13lb! Don't know what happened there. He's 10 months old (today actually!) and he's 80lb. Yours will be filling out too, they don't really stop till 3 years old (males). I wouldn't worry!

·
Registered
868 Posts
I know it's preached on the forum ( I agree 100%)....keep them lean they're better off all the way around.....but I can see ribs and he looks thin to me.....I'd be upping his daily calories... he's a young guy who's still growing....You'll be cutting food back soon enough as an adult

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Yea, a bit thin but better then overweight. My pup is 3 mo and 27 lbs almost a week ago. He is fed twice a day with quality treats for training in between.
I am transitioning to raw in the eve and kibble in the morning been told not to mix raw with kibble since each is digested differently.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Yea, a bit thin but better then overweight. My pup is 3 mo and 27 lbs almost a week ago. He is fed twice a day with quality treats for training in between.
I am transitioning to raw in the eve and kibble in the morning been told not to mix raw with kibble since each is digested differently.
This really doesn’t matter. Lots of things are digested at different rates, if you think about it. As long as your dog does well with mixing, no reason not to.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Kibble with Raw

Hmmm... I better look into that!

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
This is what matters the most. If they're too thin, I'd worry about not getting the nutrition they need. Diet can be such as individual thing. The best food on the market may not be the best for your dog.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I feed raw to my dogs, and have been for a long time. I think for a 5 month old GSD puppy, your boy looks fine! At that age, it can be hard to keep weight on a gangly, active boy. Raw does not have a lot of fat in it, and dogs fed on raw do look different than those fed on kibble or dog food only. I assume you are following BARF or one of the raw diets? If you are, then you are doing fine! I agree with one of the posters here, that dogs, especially larger breeds, should not be heavy...

Best of luck to you, and enjoy!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Raw and processed food should not be mixed... not healthy.... raw is digested so much faster than processed. Make a decision and stick with it. What's the need to mix the two? Sorry - this is for another thread, I guess....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts