German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight, I walked Rocky on our usual route. We saw a lot of dogs, and usually, Rocky will bark or flare up somehow over them. Tonight, the dogs were in their yard, so we could 'ease up' to them. I'd go so far, then he'd whine a bit, we'd go the opposite direction, he'd sit, calm down, get a treat, we'd go back a bit closer, etc. over and over until we could get in from of the house without Rocky pulling and barking. Well, the dog ran, barking, across the street at Rocky, but Rocky didn't react.:D He was alert, but he didn't pull, bark or whine! The other dog just sort of gave up and went back home. Then we saw a dog on his deck right near the sidewalk, barking at Rocky, again, no reaction (except he peed in their yard). We turned the corner, English Sheepdog, no reaction. Cats, he was interested in, but didn't bark or pull toward them. I can NOT tell you all how happy this makes me, he is learning, it is like a lightbulb has gone on in his little head:apple:. I prayed before we walked out the door, and I know The Lord is daily soothing Rocky's soul. Who knows what he endured before we rescued him, but he is finally settling in to his new life with us!!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Woohoo! Congratulations on Rocky's progress!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the congrats, everyone. Having a reactive dog is extremely stressful, and it takes a LOT of time working and working with him. But just seeing him progress, little by little, it makes all the training and patience worth every second. I have been very encouraged by the people on this board. The experienced ones and the not so experienced ones alike. Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts