German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm so excited!
He'll be a year old next weekend, and for the last 4 or 5 mos, Kodee has been sleeping in my room, 1st in his crate, and then, with his leash attached to my bedside stand. He is always very well-behaved. He knows when I say it's "time for bed", he and I both go to my BR, and he lays down on his bed, and gets his "bedtime treat."
Then he either chews on his Nylabone toy, or sleeps.

So 3 or 4 nights ago, I finally took a chance and decided to see how he did sleeping in my room without being tethered to the bed stand. He has done absolutely perfect! And I LOVE having him in there with me. He hasn't messed w/anything, and I like knowing that he will alert me if he hears/sees anything out of the ordinary.

Ultimately, I plan to have him sleep in my BR with the door open (I keep it closed now), so he can have the whole house to roam in at night, although I'll be surprised if he sleeps anywhere but either my room or the bedroom hallway. He's already turning into a good "watch dog" - not for protection, but just for alerting me to anything unusual. He will either bark (rarely) or growl really low if there's anything strange (animals, etc) on our deck at night.

Just had to share - I've been working towards this for months, and we've finally gotten there!

·
Registered
183 Posts
many congrats to you. how old is kodee? i love when they sleep in the room with us. marley will only stay on the bed for a few minutes, she gets warm, the cocker won't sleep on the bed at night. we have only had marley a month, she will be a year old on the 11th. i don't leave her out in the house if we leave she has a huge crate that came with her. we usually aren't gone too long, and if so we have our daughter or neighbor come in and take them out. we get the alert bark alot when she hears or sees something,then if maye, the cocker barks she will join in. she also will bark when people come up to the house or yard, but as soon as they are invited in,she is great. we are very pleased with her. not sure how long before we will leave her uncrated when we leave the house. maye loved her crate, took me almost 3 years to get her to sleep out of it. now she pretty much sleeps where she wants. she is eight years old now. she and marley are becoming friends. waiting for them to really play together.
good luck and your girl is precious

·
Registered
27,244 Posts
If Kodee wanted to he would have chewed thru the leash and gotten into trouble, I'd say he has earned his freedom! Now he can be on patrol and keep you safe from the boogeyman~ Way to go Kodee!

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! He'll be one next Saturday, and I actually just put his crate away this week, also. (Posted about that today, too). He doesn't sleep on the bed w/me, but I love having him near me (because he "wants to be", and not b/c he's tied close by! LOL!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts