German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is regarding my 1 y/o with anal gland problems. We expressed them this morning. He was SO good. I had been a little concerned because last time we did it he growled a little. We did not punish him for growling because I have heard too many times that it just inspires them to not warn in the future. We stayed calm and persisted with what we were doing despite his protests. As far as growls go it didn't seem too serious, he was not giving a hard stare or freezing, or acting like he wanted to take a shot at anyone, he was struggling like a goon and frustrated that it wasn't working.

Anyway, we had to do him again this morning and I brought out the redbarn I had cut up for training and instructed my husband to feed him whenever he would eat and I tried to just get to it as quick as I could because the anticipation of it seems to be worse than the actual act for him. He barely struggled, and not a hint of nastiness. My personal technique right or wrong is this massaging motion, I can't seem to get it all in one squirt so I just have this repetitive massage that goes until it is all gone and I can't feel the sack anymore. While I was doing this he actually changed his posture with his rear end as if he were enjoying it (they were super full I can only imagine it must have been a relief)...

Not a hint of nastiness from him (other than from his butt lol) and the last part I feel pretty sure was actually pleasant for him so hopefully it will be downhill from here as far as getting it done. I probably should have done them sooner and not let them get so full, I will stay on top of it better.

My husband said he took treats the whole time so he was never so upset he wouldn't eat. YAY, i think we have major improvement!!

Maybe I should have put this under behavior....

·
Super Moderator
6,278 Posts
So glad you were able and willing to work through this necessary procedure and make things easier for all.There's almost always a way to work through things we must do that our dogs hate.Nail clipping,ear cleaning,etc.Good job:)

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He is very easy to handle for grooming and nail clipping. Nails he is totally neutral about and grooming he likes. His ears are ticklish and I can't put earwash in without hubby's help but with hubby no problem. He loves having his teeth brushed lol and good thing too considering some of the things he thinks are a good idea to put in his mouth combined with how much he loves to give face kisses.

Interesitngly, this sort of goes along with a new theme I discovered with him. In our CGC class he has to have ears and front feet handled. The instructor is always so hesitant in reaching for him, like he thinks going slow will make it better (and I secretly think the instructor is afraid of my dog). Two classes ago I said, I think you need to be more confident and just grab him. This wishy washy stuff bugs him. Plus, I told the dog to sit still and quit squirming. We had done enough ground work. Put up or shut up. My pup was much more comfortable with this new method. I told the guy, don't be so gentle with his ears just give him a quick massage and be done with it, the light touching tickles him more. And it worked. He has no probelm with the guy picking up his feet as long as he just goes for it vs this hesitant stuff. He still doesn't love having his ears handled but he will tolerate it a lot better if you are a little more firm and less tickly.

He is a good kid. I have not tried to get him to change something I wanted changed that he did not give it a good shot for me.

·
Super Moderator
6,278 Posts
I know what you mean about people that are hesitant around our dogs.Samson is convinced he who hesitates is not trustworthy:)

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I mean, one day this guy decided he would lay down on the floor in order to reach for my pup's feet. The pup was like, um, you're pretty weird, dude, and backed up out of his reach. I was like "I think that laying on the floor business is making him feel more uncomfortable, maybe you should stop that" lol

This guy must hate me, I am always telling him what to do. But the very first class we ever took there he thought it would be a great idea to take my pup and walk him all the way to the other side of the store without me, which upset the heck out of my boy, and I was like yeah, don't do that again. We are working on supervised separation and he is making good progress but that was not the right way to start. He does well with me putting him in a stay with the guy in a quiet area and I leave and he knows if he just waits there with the weird man mom will come back but I know he has no confidence in this guy and does not trust him to go for a walk around the busy store with him. He is not a very savvy or confident dog handler. My pup liked the instructor at our other classes great, she was confident and dog savvy and he went willingly around the room with her for demos all the time. He went fine with the techs the one time they took him to be x rayed, but they were all business just took him right out of the room.

I told him I wanted to do it differently and he was like "ok" so we kept taking classes and now I tell him what I want him to do with my dog :/

So like I said, he probably hates me but my pup is happy and that is all I care about. He is the only CGC class in town and he lets me bring him on his prong which is unusual here in rainbows and cookie land.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts