German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
teagan's e-collar came last night! seriously, fastest delivery ever! (thanks lou!)

we have started w/her wearing it, but not using it, to get her used to have the collar on.

i am SO excited!!!!!

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i think he carries dogtra and tritronics. i got a dogtra 280NCP (LCD on the transmitter!).

....if i may say so, teagan looks pretty good with it on (course, she always looks good
)

i'm so excited to actually start using it!

the best thing too, was in terms of taxes (being crossborder and all), i only had to pay $6.35!

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I think that is the one I have for Ava, I put it on every morning and she wears it until bed time....she is getting better and better all the time, as a matter of fact I was out working with her the other day, she was very responsive, it wasnt until I got back inside that I realized and had not even turned the thing on that morning!!! I kicked myself, but she was so good.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally Posted By: Betsy as a matter of fact I was out working with her the other day, she was very responsive, it wasnt until I got back inside that I realized and had not even turned the thing on that morning!!! I kicked myself, but she was so good.
that's great! she's really learning then. i'm really excited to train teagan w/this as well as to work on her aggression issues.

i never thought i'd be so excited about a piece of training equipment

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
All I can say is dont rush it, and make sure you fit it properly as well and no how to set the correct stim level. Lou is a great resource. I had to get over feeling the collar was too tight....it isnt but it was hard...

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah, i read to have them wear it anywhere from 4-6 weeks before you start actually using it. so i'm sticking to that, despite temptation.

lou's articles on crittering have really made me feel better about using this to work on her aggression issues. he was really nice and spoke to me too.

yeah, i didn't want it to slide, actually though, it's one of our better collars in terms of how exacting the tightening is. i thought i'd have to get a cinch-it collar to be exact, but i'm pleased w/the collar that came from dogtra.

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
So sad thta you feel you have to use an e-collar. I hope you have tried other options first. Just MHO.....

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
actually, yes, thank you, i have used other methods first. there is nothing sad about using an e-collar with her.

on the contrary, i think this will help her a great deal and free her from other constraints (like muzzling and being always tethered to me outside).

i love my dogs very much, and i love teagan very much, but i'm also realistic about her level of aggression and personality. since you know neither, please don't say it's sad if you don't know her or the situation. that's just rude.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
jarn, please keep in mind at all times when you use this collar that it is based on making a dog want to avoid the sensation/shock/pain (whatever you want to call it). Seeing you celebrate the idea that you're going to use a shock collar is kind of off-putting to a lot of people, because this is a technique that is not something pleasant to the dog. It would be easier to see you post "well, I have the collar and I'm going to do all correct sequences to make this work properly - wish this wasn't necessary, but I've tried everything I possibly could and this is the next step".

I have a shock collar, I've used the collar, and I can't say that I've ever felt good about it. It was something that I went to when the other methods didn't supply enough for this particular dog to overcome other temptations during off-leash play. I have kept in mind at all times that I'm doing something to my dog that isn't pleasant and that helps keep me from over-using the collar (which unfortunately happens way too often, I think).

By the way, I hope you are seriously studying proper techniques. I personally would not use a shock collar for aggression issues because of the high possibility that the dog will associate the wrong things with the shock (which I have personally seen happen). I know that you're getting help by email or phone, but if you're not really well-educated in dog behavior. and how to read your dog and provide properly timed corrections you could actually make your dog worse. You've got a five year old dog with (evidently) an established habit and a concentrated course of behavior modification would probably be a much safer way of dealing with this.

Melanie and the gang in Alaska

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally Posted By: IliamnasQuest It would be easier to see you post "well, I have the collar and I'm going to do all correct sequences to make this work properly - wish this wasn't necessary, but I've tried everything I possibly could and this is the next step".
i have posted elsewhere with questions about the ecollar and whether it was best for teagan, so i really didn't feel the need to repeat.

why shouldn't i celebrate finding a tool, that, used properly, could change her life? that's incredibly positive.

of course i am studying heavily how to properly use the collar. just as i will be going to a trainer initially to help me get started.

honestly - if there is a concern, i'd rather someone raise that concern w/me, instead of posting sanctimonious comments about how they feel sorry for my dog. teagan needs no pity.

what WOULD be sad is if i were so close minded i dismissed tools out of hand.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Jarn please ignore the post of closed minded individuals. I’m an E-collar trainer in NJ. Not only have I trained my dog successfully on the collar but have trained well over a hundred client dogs. Used properly the collar can be used to correct aggression. Again I can speak from experience on this, as Blue was dog aggressive when I brought him into my home. Now he lives PEACEFULLY with 5 other dogs and a cat. You will always find people who think their way is the only way to go and god forbid you don’t agree. I’ve been called lazy and told my dogs are abused because I use the E-collar. Which is all BS.

I will say that I hope you can find a trainer to help you with the E-collar. I know you have been in contact with Lou. He is great! 

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks lish

....honestly - why am i excited about this? i'm not excited about pushing a button, i'm excited about giving teagan more space/freedom in her life.

i have been talking to lou, who has been great, i have been reading, and i've also been in touch w/the guy who came to assess teagan after the first time she bit me - who was fantastic. he showed me a bunch of things i could do to work on establishing leadership/deal w/her dominance issues (and no, i don't think she's a true dominant dog, but she would fall into the 'alpha wanna-be' 'testy, status-seeking dog' categories), as she had some serious dominance issues when i got her. he's also so excited for me, and for teagan - he's going to be coming to help out, but - he knows teagan, he assessed her, and he thinks this is going to be such a good tool for her. he's a professional who has seen how aggressive she is, how strong her drive to kill is, he was actually taken aback by it. i honestly would feel insane not to use corrective measures on that behaviour. 'oh well, she just killed mitch' 'oh well, she just killed nikolai' 'oh well, she just ripped the throat out of that dog' ....come on.

i also resent that buying an e-collar and using it somehow turns me into someone who likes to hurt my dogs. i like using positive reinforcement in training. i have FIRED trainers who were supposed to be helping me with luc's aggression b/c they told me to get physical with him - i know my dogs, and i know their personalities, and i will always do what is right for them.

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Originally Posted By: jarn
Originally Posted By: IliamnasQuest It would be easier to see you post "well, I have the collar and I'm going to do all correct sequences to make this work properly - wish this wasn't necessary, but I've tried everything I possibly could and this is the next step".

honestly - if there is a concern, i'd rather someone raise that concern w/me, instead of posting sanctimonious comments about how they feel sorry for my dog. teagan needs no pity.

what WOULD be sad is if i were so close minded i dismissed tools out of hand.
Thought that is what I was doing?
You posted the joyful use of the tool on public forum why can't others post distaste of the tool on public forum? I have used an e-collar but I sure don't care for them and it is not a line of defense I take lightly and especially not for aggression. I don't always agree with Melanie either but I do on this one.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
that's how it came across to me, i apologize if i've mistaken your intent then. i do respect that you don't like using them.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Originally Posted By: KathyW

I have used an e-collar but I sure don't care for them and it is not a line of defense I take lightly and especially not for aggression. I don't always agree with Melanie either but I do on this one.
There is nothing wrong with using an E-collar for aggression. Used correctly it can be a great tool for correcting aggression.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
I just want to clarify though-it's not so that an aggressive dog can be considered "safe" off lead right?

Like if I had one of my dogs out on an e-collar and someone came up to them-that person would still not be safe from my dog. Unless it had a taser on it...(and that part is a joke-I realize they aren't tasers)

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
oh no, not at all.

i've considered 'would i be able to let teagan off-lead hiking, eventually?' but on considering it, aren't actually comfortable with it. you never know who or what is around the bend. i hike w/luc on leash for that very reason. (edit: and luc does not have aggression issues....he was territorial and had some fear issues when i first got him, but those have been resolved for a very long time, and were never serious)

it would nice to be able to go to public places with her not muzzled, or maybe have the cats out at the same time as her and she not be muzzled/tethered.

honestly, based on what i've seen w/teagan, i will never trust her around the small animals - but i'd like to improve her behaviour there - and i don't plan to trust her off-leash, around dogs or people. i would like to be able to have her near other dogs (that aren't luc), etc. i consider luc socialized now w/dogs (he wasn't when i got him) - he doesn't play with them or anything, but he can stay behaved and appropriate at my side when other dogs are near. i'd love that for teagan.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Kathy and Melanie,

There is a lot of history behind her one dog Teagan. She has put a tremendous amount of time into both her dogs, and corrected all issues in Luc, and gotten very far with Teagan without the e-collar. This decision was not made lightly on a whim. She consulted one of the top e-collar trainers of strong dogs in the country (Lou Castle) to ensure she understood how to train effectively and humanely without just "shocking" the dog.

Yes, misusing a prong, chain, choke, fur saver, e-collar, halti or flat collar for that matter as torture devices is sad. Using them properly and positively (and YES, this can be done with an e-collar) with minimal stimulation in order to further a strong dog's training in effort to offer more freedom is wonderful. I equate assuming that's sad to PETA feeling it's sad that dogs are kept in a human home as pets. They should run free, or it's sad.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts