German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have found a few small ticks on my 9 week old. I want to know what people here would recommend to use on my yard to kill these pests? Thx.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I don't know of anything . If I were you, I would find a topical tick/flea repellant like Frontline Plus that you can use on a puppy. That takes care of the ticks and fleas no matter where you take your puppy.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Diatomaceous earth (DE)

Natural...Dust the lawn and ant hills a day after it rains... and will not rain for 4-5 days... You may have to reapply it again... later to get the new ticks....

Diatomaceous earth (DE) kills parasites and worms, both internally and externally. It cuts them... very fine powder... all natural... but keep out of the eyes, and lungs.. it will cut them. This means you can use food grade to feed them.. or even take it yourself.

It works against parasites because the particles are sharp, and in hard-bodied insects they get into the joints of their exoskeleton, and expose their body to air. They are not "cut up" by it, but actually dehydrate to death.

Search Diatomaceous earth + dog and you will see many products of it sold for Dogs. I have eaten this (preventive deworming and any parasites) and used it in my garden (for slugs, worms, ants, etc.) ... IT WORKS ! You can dust inside a house or buildings... just dust at the edges of doors, walls, etc.. for bugs for example.
Info below shows dosages... I'd mix in the dog food. I will send you some to use. I buy food grade it in 5 lb bags from Amazon. Hardware stores carry it also. Use this on a regular bases... and your dogs should not have any future problem with worms or parasites. NONE !

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Beneficial nematodes
My yard backs up to the woods and we have had a ton of rain.

I go into the woods I get ticks every time. I have done a TON of gardening (vegetable garden and setting out azaleas this year) and Beau is outside all day in that yard.

I used the nematodes last year and neither Beau or I have picked up one tick in my yard. www. arbico.com

I also use diatomaceous earth all around my foundation and about 10 feet out. Just be sure to use OMRI or food grade, not the stuff for swimming pool filters.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
We used seven dust and haven't found a tic since we have done it.. But have to redo yard once a mth and have been giving also the garlic pills..

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
I hope you're not using this where the dogs can go. Unless they have a natural version of their product, the one I'm thinking of is a likely carcinogen. Personally I would not use it in an area that the dogs are walking on and smelling it, etc, especially with a monthly application. Lawn pesticides have been linked to canine cancer.

I use DE in areas close to my house but I'm looking into nematodes for the whole yard.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts