German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recon my 18 month GSD intact male has a problem. 2 weeks ago we noticed goopy bulging eye on his left side along with a sensitive snout and jaw/skull. He was put on anti biotics, Rimadyl and eye drops. Now 10 days later the eyes ( now both ) are goopy, but not as bad as original and he drools thick clear mucus from the left side of mouth and his left ear is kinda sideways and to the rear. Vet checked ears and mouth as best as he could and asked if he might of been kicked by a moose or injured in some way as he said he might have something neurological going on. As far as I know not at all, I'm retired and with him and his older GSD all day. So tomorrow he's going back in to be put under for Xrays. I told the vet that he likes to chew on sticks he finds in the woods and that when he was 6 months old he had an infection in one of the pockets in the mouth but he didn't think that was it. Guess we'll find out tomorrow.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I would also suspect an infection of some kind, maybe the salivary glands but the vet has ruled that out. So that leaves your second theory, that it was a bad stick he chewed. Hope you get some answers tomorrow and he gets better soon.

·
Super Moderator
9,218 Posts
Show up tomorrow armed with some info on Masticatory Muscle Myositis. Many vets aren’t super familiar with it as it’s not very common but after going thru quite the process of elimination - this is the diagnosis my boy was given. It’s found thru a simple (albeit expensive) blood test. A quick forum search should bring up my posts that document our journey.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks read all 4 pages, at this point Recon's head isn't sunken looking, at times it did look swollen on the left side. The whites of both his eyes are definitely red and the Vet gave him some eye drops ( neomycin-polymyxin). 2 weeks ago when we threw him treats he would only turn his head to the right to pick them up, now he's all better. He runs and plays with our other shepherd, still tries to chew sticks and doesn't seem to be in any pain. Eats well good bowel movements and yesterday was only night that he woke up at 2am to go potty, hoping that may have been a fluke. Both our dogs have eaten either moose or bear poop (frozen) in the last cpl of days but our other dog is fine and vet today didn't seem concerned. I'll keep researching, thanks for you input and glad your situation has stabilized.

·
Registered
202 Posts
droopy

Could he still have a piece of a stick stuck up there in his mouth? Poisonous plants/tree leaves like cherries, peaches/spider/bees/bugs or snake bite? Heart/stroke problems?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Could he still have a piece of a stick stuck up there in his mouth? Poisonous plants/tree leaves like cherries, peaches/spider/bees/bugs or snake bite? Heart/stroke problems?

It's possible but don't know if that would effect his ear position. He is under now and the Vet doing a thorough exam. When asked about MMM he didn't think so as Recon can open his mouth with no problem . When I dropped Recon off he was leaning towards Neuropathy

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got back from the vet, they put Recon to sleep for the exam, did a thorough ear eye and nose exam. Didn't take any Xrays as he said soft tissue ailments rarely show up, I still wish he did. On the eye test they put a green dye in the eye and it should drain into and through the nose but it didn't on the left side. He thinks because the 3rd eyelid is swollen it's blocking the tear duct canal into the nose. Eyes are clean, and mouth and teeth are perfect. He believes that Recon has Horners Syndrome. It is basically nerve damage along the neck, face or spine. I won't go into it too much here as you can google it but he didn't seem too concerned. Says that 45-50% of the time everything gets back to normal in 4-6 months. If it goes further than that he'll do more extensive blood tests, sonograms or MRI, urinalysis etc. He said most , but not all the time it's caused by trauma of some sort. The bad thing is with that we had Recon in boot camp for 3 weeks and got him back 3 weeks ago. We 1st noticed him symptoms 2 1/2 weeks ago. I just wonder during training they jerked on his neck? They also used an E collar all the time. He was training with 5 other GSD's and the trainer said they al got along fine. No way to prove anything now. anyways. Will keep you informed, time will only tell.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Oh no! I am sorry for your dog's diagnosis!

Keep in a mind a lot of things can cause Horner's syndrome like your vet said, not only trauma. Even a middle ear disease (otitis media) can cause it.

I hope your dog gets better soon.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh no! I am sorry for your dog's diagnosis!

Keep in a mind a lot of things can cause Horner's syndrome like your vet said, not only trauma. Even a middle ear disease (otitis media) can cause it.

I hope your dog gets better soon.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Thank you for the update. I also am sorry for the diagnosis. Hopefully he'll be back to normal in 5 months. Since the vet did say that it can be caused by trauma and according to your post you first noticed the symptoms 1/2 week after he returned from his boot camp I would follow up with that and also find out what type of trauma the vet was referring to. And then I think it could be discussed in a non-threatening way with the trainer as you just want to rule out and avoid any such trauma in the future.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts