German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't really find any previous threads on this, so I was wondering what everyone personally prefers as a method of determining pregnancy? I have been hearing ultrasound thrown around more and more lately, so I was just wondering if xrays are slowly becoming a thing of the past due to potential hazards to the puppies, etc.?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Ultrasound can confirm preg. earlier, but it is very hard to get a count. I would suggest the relaxin preg. blood test early and an x-ray for a pup count the week before due date.
We use ultrasound only if we're unsure of bloodtest results or if there is a concern that the pups are still viable.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I think the "risk" to the puppies from a properly performed radiograph would be miniscule. It may be very close, but it's not zero. I would do it if I were a breeder. BJD's answer seems very appropriate.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I haven't tried the blood test yet...I do U/S at 35 days to confirm pregnancy and x-ray for a count before the due date.

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
We do an ultrasound about 4 weeks after breeding. Never done the blood test. Ultrasound is to confirm pregnancy, and get a rough head count. We've never done an x-ray right before whelping, because the vet we use for ultrasounds is so good at reading them he's never been off by more than 1 pup. Even x-rays can't get a better estimate than that. I would do an x-ray if I felt the need, or suspected something was wrong, but it's never been needed for a head count since we can trust our vet to be very accurate at the ultrasound.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts