German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Cash goes in for his Xrays tomorrow, and I'm feeling very nervous about them. He hasn't shown any discomfort, but I worry that maybe I pushed him too hard with the jumping and high impact stuff we've done. He comes from a very reputable breeder who Xrays and health tests all her stock. He's also never been under anesthetic before so I'm hoping there's no complications there. This is my first show/performance dog and the first dog I've ever had X-rays done on.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I've taken some rescue remedy as he's feeling in tune with my emotions(as most shepherd are) and he could tell I was agitated about something. He's 5 do I have a good chance of getting a good rating? Or because he's older will his joints look different then when he was 2?

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Can't say, but don't you think that if they were good at two, they will be good at five.. Sending positive thought to you!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I guess so, it's all so new to me. I was thinking of all the high impact stuff affecting his joints as he gets older? I don't know it was just a thought. :) I'm paranoid. Will keep everyone posted thanks!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok here they are!! For some reason the one elbow is a lot brighter in the picture I think because it was higher up when I went to take the picture that my phone caught the light wrong. I will try to take another one later, but from what I see they both look very similar. ImageUploadedByPG Free1416502816.574779.jpg ImageUploadedByPG Free1416502832.732559.jpg ImageUploadedByPG Free1416502854.287773.jpg any thoughts appreciated! It took them almost two hours and my poor boy is still really out of it. I will be sending them to OFA but I want to show them to my breeder tomorrow first.

·
Registered
938 Posts
The alignment on the hips is off but he does not have dysplasia. The femoral head and joint space looks normal to me. I couldn't tell you what the OFA rating would be since I'm not a radiologist! My father is one for humans, though.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The alignment on the hips is off but he does not have dysplasia. The femoral head and joint space looks normal to me. I couldn't tell you what the OFA rating would be since I'm not a radiologist! My father is one for humans, though.

Thank you for replying. Can you explain how the alignment is off? I have been looking at X-rays and haven't seen that come up in any of the ones I've looked at. How do you tell?

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
The alignment looks good to me. The lower openings are symetrical and the same size, kneecaps centered. The hips look nice. From what I can see, the elbows look fine but phone shots of films can be a challenge. Good coverage. They look at least Good to me. FWIW my dog who was good at two was still very nice at 8.

Don't sit back and relax on good hips or elbows. Keep all the muscles strong and dog lean. Even good joints can get arthritis if the surrounding muscles are not kept strong.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The alignment looks good to me. The lower openings are symetrical and the same size, kneecaps centered. The hips look nice. From what I can see, the elbows look fine but phone shots of films can be a challenge. Good coverage. They look at least Good to me. FWIW my dog who was good at two was still very nice at 8.

Don't sit back and relax on good hips or elbows. Keep all the muscles strong and dog lean. Even good joints can get arthritis if the surrounding muscles are not kept strong.

Thanks for your opinion on them, I was so paranoid that I wouldn't notice and they'd come back terrible. I do keep him lean as we do agility and I like the least amount of weight on him. He does need more muscle so I'll have to work on that, but he looks good weight wise. It's funny I had a revaluation yesterday. People keep telling me is so skinny, and I always defend saying his a performance dog he should be lean, but I realized yesterday, no he is a healthy weight and should be lean, not just because he's a performance dog but because it's healthier for them just like people.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts